Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> Suggestions

Make friendly tournaments competitive (13)

rs Miroslav Karaicic >> thursday september 20 - 01:15

I understand that friendlies have the sole purpose to gain XP points, but if we create a friendly tournament we should at least have the option to make it competitive (no youth players, for example). I try to organize a tournament with teams of more or less equal strenght, but then some of them just choose to play with their youth, spoiling the joy of the tournament. Why call it a tournament if it is not competitive?

rs Miroslav Karaicic
Translator
Registered2015-01-24
ua Garfman >> thursday september 20 - 06:43

If that's what you want, you should make it invitation only and only invite teams that will play their strongest 11.

I don't think you can force such a thing. Or should be able to, for that matter.

ua Garfman
Head community admin
Registered2013-02-08
ph Garfman FC
rs Miroslav Karaicic >> thursday september 20 - 11:16

I do exactly that, invite teams only. Though there is no option to make the participating teams competitive. Why does anyone enter something called a tournament if not to compete? Why not just play regular friendlies as previously? What is the point of a tournament? No force here, just common sense.

rs Miroslav Karaicic
Translator
Registered2015-01-24
ua Garfman >> thursday september 20 - 11:34

I think you're confusing your personal opinion with common sense. It's called a Friendly Tournament, not a Competitive Tournament, after all.

I participate in these tournaments so it's easier to get a few friendly matches without having to invite each individual player, and because it makes it easier to already gather experience for the end of the season.

This, consequentially, makes it easier to start selling players once the transfer market opens, and to also train players returning from loan quicker.

Perhaps, if you really want others to play competitively, you should first ask them before you invite them.

ua Garfman
Head community admin
Registered2013-02-08
ph Garfman FC
ee Balthazor >> thursday september 20 - 20:43

I play my oldies usually in pre-seasonal friendlies where they get their 6 matches. In seasonal single friendlies I play just players, who still have remaining matches. On tournaments I have tried to use quite strong lineup, but without some players I keep for league matches.

Thing that should be changed with tournaments is slowness: ok, there is registration time and free spots will be filled with bots, then it takes week or two when the draw happens and then another couple of weeks when it begins. Matchdays finally will collide accidentally with some important matches in league :D I think there should already on registration be visible timeline of tournament: when is draw, when which matchdays.

ee Balthazor
User
Registered2013-12-01
ee Dünamo Tallinn
rs Miroslav Karaicic >> friday september 21 - 00:01, Edited friday september 21 - 00:25

@Garfman  Here is the Oxford dictionary definition of a tournament: 'a series of contests between a number of competitors, competing for an overall prize.' How am I confusing anything? What you are referring to is a 'set of 5 friendly matches' (or 6, or 7, or any given number...) with no obligations. Your idea to write to every potential participant and explain them that they should put up their first squad is good, however it is also timewasting. Why not have the option to include it in the friendly tournament schedule, so people who apply for it know beforehand what is expected? That one click should not be difficult to add. We already choose if we want to invite teams or if it is free entrance, we decide on the continent the participants are from etc. Why not have a click to say: 'Playing with youth players and your second team is forbidden, in order to keep the competitive aspect of the tournament'. No force there, people can choose.

rs Miroslav Karaicic
Translator
Registered2015-01-24
ro Andrei >> friday september 21 - 13:28
These are friendly tournaments. Friendly. People shouldn't be expected to take them seriously. You want to use the first-team? Fine. That's your choice, not someone else's. After all, if you get some first-team players injured, that will be your problem.
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
pl Tech Noir >> friday september 21 - 16:17

They are already competetive. You can win credits so it can motivate enough to win and play with strongest lineup. If someone wants to win it with kids it is his will and credits. ;) 

pl Tech Noir
Community admin
Registered2015-05-04
pt Sir Alex >> saturday september 22 - 13:22
True Okay Yokuslu, you are right.
pt Sir Alex
User
Registered2013-05-04
ee Taavi >> saturday september 22 - 14:49

idk man , if i see a friendly cup just before a league or CL match then im playing with youths anyway :D

ee Taavi
Community admin
Registered2014-01-17
ee FC Pusa
pt Sir Alex >> saturday september 22 - 14:56
I need to win all my games. Monday i have this;

22:02 Eusébio CUP - Lordes SC vs. Ala-Arriba Benfica
22:39 CUP - Lordes SC vs. Ala-Arriba Benfica
23:42 League - Ala-Arriba Benfica vs. AD Académica
pt Sir Alex
User
Registered2013-05-04