Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> Questions

Opinions wanted (10)

nl Joddit >> tuesday october 15 - 13:58

Some people will already have seen this player, but basically I'm having difficulty making a decision. It's all about my latest ST: 

https://rockingsoccer.com/en/soccer/info/player-2040820

He's basically incredible for a club my size and is probably going to be the best player I deal with for quite a while (or maybe ever). People tend to say to make these players into a GK which generally isn't bad advice (I've done that to my last ST and I've not regretted that decision for one second since https://rockingsoccer.com/en/soccer/info/player-1893494). 

This bloke is projected to be my long term GK. Recently, I've purchased a long term reserve GK to cover that base for a while.

https://rockingsoccer.com/en/soccer/info/player-1984471

It would seem to be an enormous waste to turn my new ST into a GK as well since I can only play one GK at a time. Am I wrong in thinking that way? 

I don't want to waste this new player, but I won't need a GK for some time (even though he could become a better player than the last one).

I was kind of hoping for a striker from the youth system this time 'round. Could he be that, or would I be wasting him that way? What would you do in my situation?

nl Joddit
User
Registered2018-03-02
nl Domstad FC
il Numpty >> tuesday october 15 - 14:21, Edited tuesday october 15 - 14:22

It's a sensible decision to canvas opinion before making your decision. Hopefully you will get some thoughts from some of the more experienced managers. 

Here are mine. I think if it were me I would still make the new youngster, Caspert Hecht, into a keeper. I am sure I would regret not doing so. 

I agree about not having 2 of them, so the question becomes what to do with the first one, Aimé de Bailleul?  The obvious answer would be to sell him. Yeah, I know you've invested time and probably have an emotional attachment as well, but you need to think of that as sunken costs. He's still fairly young and will, no doubt, fetch a decent price on the transfer market.

Alternatively - if you want to keep him - he could easily become a central defender.

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
nl Joddit >> wednesday october 16 - 11:25

@Numpty:

Thank you! Probably not the advice I was hoping for, but it sounds sensible.

Others are still welcome to meddle...

nl Joddit
User
Registered2018-03-02
nl Domstad FC
us cdowne >> wednesday october 16 - 13:23, Edited wednesday october 16 - 13:24

Keep Hecht a striker.  Keep your keeper.  In 12 seasons you have very talented players reaching their peak at the same time. If you have a couple defenders and midfielders also reaching peak at that time you have a full wave of players reaching peak at the same time. 

Edit: you have a young team. Seems like you can save money and focus on facilities for a few seasons.

us cdowne
User
Registered2014-05-13
us Sidney Town FC
nl Joddit >> thursday october 17 - 13:00, Edited thursday october 17 - 13:01

@cdowne

Thanks. So you think it wouldn't necessarily be a daft idea to have a player like that as a striker?

And yes, I will keep looking at my facilities. That has priority over short term results. 

nl Joddit
User
Registered2018-03-02
nl Domstad FC
us cdowne >> thursday october 17 - 15:24

I think that defender would be the only daft decision.

us cdowne
User
Registered2014-05-13
us Sidney Town FC
nl Joddit >> thursday october 17 - 15:50

Again, thank you very much for your two cents!

nl Joddit
User
Registered2018-03-02
nl Domstad FC
il Numpty >> thursday october 17 - 16:05, Edited thursday october 17 - 16:06

Just to clarify a couple of things.

My reference to a possible defender was not about your new supertalent, but rather about what to do with your existing keeper if you wanted to keep him. At the time I think his Blocking was about 3.5, so could have been trained as a defender. It looks like he had a lot of stored xp...

Regarding whether Striker or Keeper for Hecht.

There is, of course, nothing wrong with either choice. He will be a great player either way. The main differences being that keepers peak later and have a much longer career. Which gives you the best value and makes the most sense for your future plans?

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
nl Joddit >> thursday october 17 - 16:21, Edited thursday october 17 - 16:25

I know that you meant the other player. You were quite clear on that (even naming names). I do not think it was meant to be a stab at your comment. I can't know this of course, but that's not how I read it...

Edit: Oh, and his blocking hasn't changed much, but the 'penalty stopper' may have kicked in a few hours after your comment. At least I think that training was still ongoing when you made your comment and that could of course have made a difference in your judgment...

nl Joddit
User
Registered2018-03-02
nl Domstad FC
il Numpty >> thursday october 17 - 16:29, Edited thursday october 17 - 16:30

Thanks, I was fairly confident about that. :)

But reading back, I could see there was a possible ambiguity in the way I had laid it out, especially if someone was just skim reading the thread.  

As for my memory, I'll probably have to make an appointment with the doctor ... :)

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets