Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> Questions

Speed on mids (12)

ee Taavi >> saturday december 14 - 16:15

How useful is speed on mids? Does speed even do anything ?

ee Taavi
Community admin
Registered2014-01-17
ee FC Pusa
eng Lee >> saturday december 14 - 16:30

I thought it allowed the midfielder to get behind the full back - I hope so anyway, as I've added dribbler to some of mine.

eng Lee
User
Registered2014-10-14
eng Canvey Pixels
us Peter >> saturday december 14 - 21:13

I trained dribbler on some midfielders. As far as I can tell, the best thing you can hope for is to place them on the wing, and hope they dribble past the defenders and get a cross into the box without going into it themselves.

us Peter
User
Registered2015-03-15
us Detroit Blazers
il Numpty >> saturday december 14 - 23:54, Edited sunday december 15 - 11:00

Although it's tempting to use common sense and assume that a speedy midfielder works like a normal game of football - it doesn't. 

Since the match engine is a computer program the best guide is what is written in the Help. 

According to the Help, Speed does do a few things that are useful for midfielders.

1. Movement

• First of all, a player with a lot of speed is more likely to move to another field in the movement phase of a match. The higher the speed, the higher the chance he can make a move.
  • In the movement phase, all players can move one or two steps. Whether or not they move depends on their position and speed

So high speed doesn't make the player 'quicker' per se, it just increases the chance that he will move - with or without the ball. Whether he moves to a good position will depend on his tactics and if he moves first or last. 

2.  Tackles and Free kicks

• The success chance of a tackle depends mostly on the dueling skill of the player attempting the tackle. The player with the ball can decrease the success chance with his own dueling skill, speed and tactics.
  • If a tackle is unsuccessful, the chance that this will result in a free kick or a card depends on the speed and tactics of both involved players.

So high speed helps to avoid tackles and also increases the chance of winning free kicks. 

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
ee Taavi >> sunday december 15 - 10:57

Avoiding tackles is good for a mid , but good nough to use 1.5k xp on it? :D

Also does dribbler effect forwards? 

ee Taavi
Community admin
Registered2014-01-17
ee FC Pusa
il Numpty >> sunday december 15 - 11:05, Edited sunday december 15 - 11:17

Although there is some benefit, whether it's worth the xp cost of training specials is another matter.  

Just to add that in my opinion I think Speed is more useful for defensive mids. It means they are more likely to:

• move to the region where the ball is, so they can attempt the tackle
  • it decreases the chance of them giving away free kicks in dangerous areas

So personally I would prefer Sprinter on a DM to putting Dribbler on an AM. But it's difficult to be sure if either is a good use of xp.  

As for dribbling on forwards.

I would say they get the same benefits as a midfielder - avoiding tackles and winning free kicks - but are more likely to be tackled in dangerous areas. In addition 1 extra ball of Speed adds 0.1 to Scoring, but whether that always applies is not entirely clear. My guess is that it help Scoring when they are 'on the ball' but probably not if it's an assist. 

In my opinion, dribbling probably adds more value to a forward than to a midfielder. 

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
ru Eric_Cantonais >> sunday december 15 - 11:59

How many hours does it take to gain 1.5k training points with your FA3-soon-to-be-lvl-4, Taavi ?

ru Eric_Cantonais
User
Registered2013-08-11
fr Le Feu Occulte
ee Taavi >> sunday december 15 - 14:25

Same as urs :D

ee Taavi
Community admin
Registered2014-01-17
ee FC Pusa
lv Ar4ers >> sunday december 15 - 14:47

I train speed to all my players, except they are over 25y and need third training

lv Ar4ers
User
Registered2014-12-30
lv Rīgas Dinamo
ru Eric_Cantonais >> sunday december 15 - 15:28

Actually it takes less time because you have 2 staffs there  :p

My point was 1.5k pts are no big deal, but i guess you got that.

ru Eric_Cantonais
User
Registered2013-08-11
fr Le Feu Occulte
ee Taavi >> sunday december 15 - 15:52

Additionally it takes time :D Which isnt really problem either , havnt been invested in this game alot lately

ee Taavi
Community admin
Registered2014-01-17
ee FC Pusa
ru Eric_Cantonais >> sunday december 15 - 16:26

Time is the main concern indeed, depending on your training plan it will take about 2 weeks more to train this special. But the 1.5k pts are really not a problem.

ru Eric_Cantonais
User
Registered2013-08-11
fr Le Feu Occulte