Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> Questions

are losing matches okay if you don't want to get promoted to the next league? (5)

in Mr. Arpit >> friday march 27 - 17:16

If you think that your team is too weak to get promoted to the next league can you deliberately lose matches so that you don't get promoted to that league especially if that league has teams that are double or triple your team value?

in Mr. Arpit
User
Registered2013-12-09
in Thundering Pune
uy Awful >> friday march 27 - 17:31

Im not support idea of losing matches on purpose !  but many managers doin this

uy Awful
User
Registered2015-05-10
hr Internacionālā Daugava FC
ro Funky Grandma >> friday march 27 - 17:40

It doesn't make sense to take that approach. If you think your team is too weak to get promoted, why would you make it even worse for them? Also, why wouldn't you want to get promoted? You play in a higher league, you get better attendance and money from playing better teams, you will grow your team faster that way. It's not in the best-interest of the team you're managing, not in the short-term, not in the long-term. It's not in your best interest in any way either. I don't think it's ok and don't know why anyone would do it.

ro Funky Grandma
User
Registered2013-03-28
il Numpty >> friday march 27 - 17:54, Edited friday march 27 - 17:59

The game is coded so that it can sometimes be an advantage to lose. Many avoid promotion to a harder league in the interests of their club's long term development, and this is within the rules.

This is the part of the rules that apply, which is found in the 'Terms of Service'.

You are expected to use common sense and play fair, both by written rules and intent.

Specifically the following are not allowed:

• Taking actions that are not in the interest of the team you are managing. 
  • Intentionally letting a friend win against you. 

So you have to make sure that:

1. losing is in the interests of your team
  2. you play fair to other managers in your league and don't affect the final league table regarding promotion and relegation positions etc.  
  3. you don't intentionally lose to your friends 
il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
ee Balthazor >> friday march 27 - 20:12

Sometimes life and random make their own corrections. On my starting period I avoided promotion several times and then suddenly won league 2 very confidently. My first full season in L1 started disastrously, desperate final sprint meant that I have still highest points record of last place(36p from 36 matches). Then again I started to avoid promotion, but on second next season after relegations avoided successfully league win.... and got promoted with playoffs, getting first playoff-promoted team, who survived first season...so far in League 1 but having critical period. 

My good friend onuelver has quite different fate: he was fearless until really unlucky and undeserved relegation from League 1(where he got through playoffs and survived first season) to team that didn't want to go up, but scored their only chance in both matches having only 1 proper forward and winning playoffs by away goal. To go worse that team sold that forward before start of season and with 16yo youngsters ahead scored just 3 goals per season. My hot-blooded friend sold core of his team and after that started to avoid promotions. Then he won league with 10+ points and got promoted. He got at least one point even from top teams like Veenus and Pusa and in playoffs met team that was not fond of promotion but not avoiding it too...and it was only team against who he didn't got even single point on last season. 

Actually things in Estonia are worse because none of 5 strongest L2 teams want to get promoted as they all have experiences of suffering in the end of L1. 8 of 10 League 1 teams have been constant and quite safe since season 45. One of later promoted teams survived some seasons on 9th place, but wanted go down already after first season, last season he had chance through last place. There is no pressure from lower too.

ee Balthazor
User
Registered2013-12-01
ee Dünamo Tallinn