Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> General discussion

#SaveTheGame (433)

ua Kalle >> thursday june 25 - 11:32

I blame millennials, they are so used to getting everything so fast, no patience at all. 

ua Kalle
User
Registered2013-06-19
nl PEC Zwolle
es spectra >> thursday june 25 - 14:32

I never complained about not having new development of the game. I agree, it is a good game just like it would be now, if it had no major bugs.

But not reacting to the world cup bugs, detected more than one month ago, not even answering to the players that reported the problem, and "fixing" it by just cancelling the competition, with not even a single explanation, is not a fair way to treat customers. And by cancelling competitions just like that, the quality of the game has decreased enormously. Even more, when you think that such a bug, such a silence, and such a "cancelling solution" are likely to happen again in the future. Why should we expect anything different? Is there any explanation, or just any reason, to make us believe that this problem has been extraordinary, and that the developers are going to be more active?

Vincent can do what he wants with his game, nobody discusses that. But with such a "quality control", paying to play in might not be worth anymore...

es spectra
Registered2013-10-11
eng holt >> friday june 26 - 04:02

@Kalle So you feel that 6+ years isn't a long enough timescale for one to start to truly enjoy their pastime activity/activities?

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
au davo >> friday june 26 - 05:28

@holt so you feel that it is not possible to enjoy playing the game unless you are successful at it?

au davo
User
Registered2013-08-27
eng Stephen >> friday june 26 - 05:50

Also @Holt, if the most you’re ever at a club is 1 year 11 months, then it’s unlikely you’ll ever have much success. Which, if that’s important to you, is going to be a problem.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
eng holt >> friday june 26 - 05:53, Edited friday june 26 - 08:38

@davo Although a lot of people explicitly believe in what you just said,I feel that one has more "fun" when they have total control of themselves and their surroundings.

Edit:By this I mean that users should be allowed to experiment and learn for themselves without getting screwed by the consequences.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
nl Losing >> friday june 26 - 06:49

Just go play Fifa at amateur difficulty then :P

nl Losing
User
Registered2017-05-06
ua Kalle >> friday june 26 - 08:15

@Holt i wasn't talking about you. I was talking about new managers joining and having no patience. And that is a real problem in the millennials generation.

ua Kalle
User
Registered2013-06-19
nl PEC Zwolle
eng holt >> friday june 26 - 08:36, Edited friday june 26 - 08:40

@Kalle Isn't that what every generation tells their successors eh?

@Losing I never said that I disliked competition, I'm saying that it's necessary to keep in mind what you are competing for in the first place.

@Stephen Don't confuse free rein with success.Free rein is the liberty to experiment with the situations,try different tactics and market strategies and unfortunately(as proven time and time again) the only way to obtain it in RS, is to first adhere to one-dimensional strategies until you become too big to fail.Try any other strategy(such as say using your youths or buy big players from the get go) and it's going to take you actual years to get going anywhere.Use anything other than the holy triad of formations, and you are bound to perform poorly no matter how good you are.

It's the rigidity of this game that repels commited newbies (those who have spent atleast 3 mths in the game) rather than the dominance of the big teams.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
eng Stephen >> friday june 26 - 09:06

@holt - I’m not confusing them. It doesn’t matter how much latitude you have, this game is designed to be slow. When you start at a club, you’re not competing against the biggest clubs, you’re competing against those around you. Only one team per season can win the CL in each continent. It takes ages to get there.

I disagree that the game is one-dimensional. There are ways to do things differently, but none is the golden ticket to success. If that existed, then it wouldn’t be a golden ticket for long because everyone else would be doing it too. There are many reasons why newbies might not stay, but I don’t think rigidity is high on that list.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
ua Garfman >> friday june 26 - 15:15

@Kalle You are absolutely right, though you'd have to wonder whether that's actually their own fault. Imagine growing up in a world where you can basically get anything you want in a matter of seconds, minutes, hours or at worst, days. If you get used to that, perhaps something that takes time and effort to do, might not feel worth it.

Honestly, it was also my first issue with this game: it takes too bloody long to achieve something. But over time, I've actually grown to appreciate it. And perhaps that might apply to others as well, if they take the time to see the beauty of this game, they might actually appreciate it.

This is simply not an 'instant gratification' kind of game. It takes time to build something. There are some shortcuts, but not a lot. Your success depends on your methods, how you build your team, your facilities, your players. So whatever succes you get, in the end, is also yours. 

ua Garfman
Head community admin
Registered2013-02-08
ph Garfman FC
eng holt >> saturday june 27 - 02:55, Edited saturday june 27 - 06:01

@Stephen fair enough.The game still comes across as too rigid for me.

@Garfman I feel that one of the most vain activities one could indulge in is judging their successors,simply because the yesteryears haven't (and never will be able to) acclimatized to the series of drastic changes that have taken place between the years.

What you may consider to be the primary motives for why the current generation does what it does is bound to be completely wrong as you use your personal experiences as a benchmark and as a result and tend to overlook the immaturity and unpredictability of the youth in the first place.

The biggest selling point of this game is it's complete lack of instant gratification,but there is no way the game can grow unless a comprimise is reached.There are a lot of games that use this same philosophy and are much more successful (like some of the MMORPGs) because they realised that having a very steep growth curve actively repels newbies from staying.You seriously can't expect the youth to sit down and play checkers with gramps all day long and expect them to understand the joys of the little things in life.

Targeting a niche audience is all well and good,but don't expect anyone outside that circle to be interested in your feelings towards the subject.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
nl Losing >> saturday june 27 - 05:24

I think the references to millennials not being able to play a long-term game due to instant gratification is a very weird stereotype, as a millennial. There's many millennials enjoying this game and playing for the long term with one club. Also it's kinda ironic to put that idea in one of the faster-paced online managing games, where when we were in our teens the main manager game that is similar (fictional players in a team you have to build from the ground up yourself) was Hattrick, which many millennials played too. With league games once a week and 3 seasons per year. There's also older managers constantly hopping around and not having the patience to build a club like this. I also think it's weird how people keep using the term millennial as a stand-in for kids, when most of us are in our thirties and late twenties. All people with fully connected prefrontal cortexes except for maybe a few of the people on the edge between millennials and gen z. Older millennials, those with overlap with gen x, are nearly turning 40. We grew up with dial-up modems on which opening one image took minutes, at least after internet became a thing most people had. I bought my first smartphone when I was about 23.

There's a lot of different personalities in every generation, and being more susceptible to instant gratification is something of people under 25 in general, and there's people in every generation not willing to invest years into building a fictional club from the ground up. It's simply not as simple as "blaming" an entire generation. There's also the thing about games with instant gratification being more common now, because for the first time in history they can. And are the most profitable by design when combined with modern technology. They were as prevalent earlier on as far as possible, and any generation in history would've been as susceptible to the current overabbundance of them as young people are right now.

Instant gratification games are usually built around corporations extracting as much wealth as they can from kids. It's not the fault of kids. It's how human brains work when they are young and these corporations prey on that. I'm sure that when older people figure out "kids these days" aren't millennials the same prejudices will shift to gen z as they all turn adult, while corporations are preying on the instant gratification years of the generation that are toddlers and younger now.

nl Losing
User
Registered2017-05-06
il Numpty >> saturday june 27 - 06:29, Edited saturday june 27 - 07:04

"You seriously can't expect the youth to sit down and play checkers with gramps all day long ..."

* Challenges @Holt to a game of checkers. 

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
hr Kupus >> saturday june 27 - 09:14, Edited saturday june 27 - 09:14

@Numpty

Livestream with commentary

hr Kupus
Community admin
Registered2015-10-14
de Regnum Croatorum