Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> Real life soccer

European Championship (165)

eng Dragontao >> friday june 18 - 21:19, Edited friday june 18 - 22:28

Harry Kane "need to concentrate on qualification, which is the ultimate goal" ...

... er, no Harry, winning the tournament would be the ultimate goal, but we have a clown for a manager. Knew it would be the normal media hype and England turn out to be schit once the tournament starts.

How did Sterling stay on for 90 minutes ffs. Was useless from the early wasted chance from a great ball by Mount. Should have been Calvert-Lewin for Kane. Rashford disappeared out wide as soon as he came on. Southgate is a joke.

eng Dragontao
User
Registered2013-09-07
eng Colchester City #2
eng Stephen >> friday june 18 - 21:30

Probably he left the tactics handbook in the pocket of his waistcoat.

I think I'm most annoyed at having to listen to the inane drivel of Sam Matterface. Presumably he gets paid by the word, the amount of hot air he spouts.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
eng Lee >> friday june 18 - 22:25

I asked my brother who should come off for Grealish, and he immediately said Sterling, "he can't trap a bag of cement!"

I don't think any of the other nations will be concerned with playing us in the 2nd round.

eng Lee
User
Registered2014-10-14
eng Canvey Pixels
lv Ar4ers >> friday june 18 - 22:36

England is overrated

lv Ar4ers
User
Registered2014-12-30
lv Rīgas Dinamo
il Numpty >> saturday june 19 - 04:44

Grealish coming on made sense.

What I didn't understand is taking off Foden and Kane - the two players who were most likely to produce something. 

Maybe Southgate's plan was to lull the other teams into a false sense of security. It's England's go to policy when everything else fails. It works every time ... oh hang on ...

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng holt >> saturday june 19 - 05:52, Edited saturday june 19 - 06:00

@Ar4ers England isn't overrated(atleast this time) as I've seen a lot of predictions made by non-English outlets that give England a lesser chance than what they should if England had a comptent manager.

Southgate still doesn't know what his lineup should look like when it comes to defense and has convinced himself that a double pivot plus Sterling-Mount-Foden is the only way to go. Foden was playing well(compared to the others) and got subbed while Sterling (who hasn't been in great form neither in the game nor recently) stayed on.

Only a tactical mastermind would choose not to use Grealish,Sancho,DCL and Bellingham.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
ee onuelver >> saturday june 19 - 15:46

English NT is coded to "We got 1-0 up. STOP PLAYING NOW!!!" and unsuccessfully to freeze game which end heating up opponent and typically conceding 2 or at least 1 in playoff phase and missing some penalties. 

ee onuelver
User
Registered2014-09-02
ee Puka City Strikes Back
eng Stephen >> saturday june 19 - 16:41

I think the least hype for any England campaign was for the WC in 2018. Getting to the semis there (by avoiding any decent sides) has of course meant the media hype is back.

Technically, the players are much, much more proficient than they were even a decade ago. They can do things like trap a ball (gasp!), display close control (wow!) and pick out a pass that isn't backwards to someone in 20 yards of space (eek!) as well as other things that other nations took for granted decades ago.

But changing the mindset is a huge hurdle. England is basically a country with conservative thinking and it's going to take some bravery to do something different.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
lv Ar4ers >> saturday june 19 - 18:01

I liked Beckham generation even they didnt reach semi finals 

lv Ar4ers
User
Registered2014-12-30
lv Rīgas Dinamo
il Numpty >> saturday june 19 - 18:41

Beckham was overrated. 

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
in viktor >> saturday june 19 - 22:49

One of the biggest problem with England National teams is  the players don't seem to play enough with each other to be able to predict(or to simplify "pass") and managers , considering the players quality, seem not too willing to let them just play intuitively instead of trying to force a system

in viktor
User
Registered2013-05-22
in Air FC
eng ipfreely >> sunday june 20 - 15:34

Th system of lumping the ball up to Sterling was never gonna work. Should either play out of defence or play DCL instead.

eng ipfreely
User
Registered2013-12-08
vi Lollapa Losers
nl Aad Mansveld >> monday june 21 - 14:15

who is DCL ?

nl Aad Mansveld
User
Registered2013-06-09
nl **** The Hague FC ****
nl Aad Mansveld >> monday june 21 - 14:15

Only in Rs England has a chance to win the WC and EC becasue ofcourse the tactical mastermind leading them :)

nl Aad Mansveld
User
Registered2013-06-09
nl Aad Mansveld >> monday june 21 - 14:18

in Premier league with there billons of pounds going round the foreign players are the stars giving their own young players no chance to play at th highest level. They are benched or loaned out.

nl Aad Mansveld
User
Registered2013-06-09