Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> Real life soccer

Arsenal (1036)

eng holt >> friday january 25 - 16:10

Someone's counting their chickens eh?

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
ro Andrei >> friday january 25 - 18:31
Keep those chickens to yourself, Holt.
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
my Kesvick >> saturday january 26 - 11:00

Well...it would be nice...and right now, I work out my current general frustrations with Arsenal by playing Football Manager 2019.

Otherwise, we were spoilt by Arsene Wenger during his time. By no means will it be easy to rebuild this club from top to bottom again.

my Kesvick
Registered2013-08-06
eng holt >> saturday january 26 - 11:09

How good is FM 19 compared to earlier ones?

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
my Kesvick >> saturday january 26 - 14:06, Edited saturday january 26 - 14:16

For someone whose last game was FM17, FM19 has changed quite a lot. The inclusion of a player hierarchy and the fleshing out of player relationships add new dimensions to the game.

The tactics are also more fluid and intuitive; now you set tactics for the three phases of play:

1. In possession.
  2. Out of possession.
  3. Transitions.

It encourages you to try and create your own tactics based on the strengths of your team.

The scouting system is much better, to the point that I, a FM veteran, can trust the scouting system, as well as the inclusion of statistics into the explicit scouting process.

Something that you should definitely buy when there is a discount (by this point in time, anyway; I pre-ordered FM19). Someone I know once described the game as getting a fix "in a shiny new syringe. The plunger has had a tweak to improve insertion, but still feels familiar and you still get your fix."

Some cons about the game...training still feels a lot like a shot in the dark (whereby I don't really know the real effect my training schedules have on my players, other than seeing all the arrows go up) so that aspect of the game is still set by the AI. The user interface is drastically changed, but there is probably too much purple in the UI for my liking.

In terms of the match engine, the sweeper keeper still doesn't feel sweeper-y enough. Otherwise, the match engine doesn't have anything negative that I can discern. Oh, and Pep Guardiola's tactics (2-3-5) still don't work in FM19.

my Kesvick
Registered2013-08-06
eng holt >> saturday january 26 - 15:17

Dang,I never played sweeper keeper in attack after he kept getting caught out.But if you play him as a normal GK.He never comes up even for a 1V1.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
ee Ryan >> saturday january 26 - 16:51

As a long time FM16-17 player I got disappointed in FM18 and decided not to buy FM19 (my potato would probably struggle anyways). 

People say the tactical diversity is the biggest plus side now, but I can easily make custom tactics to win the impossible Championship without the help of presets like in FM19

ee Ryan
Registered2016-07-25
my Kesvick >> sunday january 27 - 06:59

@holt: I've never had a case where my sweeper keeper was caught out in no-man's-land. It's more like they don't even come out for 1v1s or to sweep up loose balls like they were supposed to do.

@Ryan: If you're a FM fanatic, your standards are likely going to be high anyway; the tactics presets are there to help new and inexperienced players with some help to work their own tactics. I don't mind that; they want to get new blood involved into the game, go ahead.

my Kesvick
Registered2013-08-06
ee Ryan >> sunday january 27 - 07:51

Since we drifted off-topic anyway, has your GK ever scored from a corner? I've moved my tall ones up many times on overload but they never make a Poom finish, they just start retreating instantly when the cross comes in undecided

ee Ryan
Registered2016-07-25
my Kesvick >> sunday january 27 - 10:13

My GK has never scored at all, apart from freak penalty shootouts that use all 11 players.

What formation do you normally use? I use a 3-5-1-1 that becomes a 3-4-3 in practice.

my Kesvick
Registered2013-08-06
ee Ryan >> sunday january 27 - 12:24

Normally 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-4 when I'm not out for midfield control. I usually have a target man in team and move defenders to box in corners (or wingbacks but most of them are short). 

ee Ryan
Registered2016-07-25
my Kesvick >> sunday january 27 - 13:38

Whenever I play a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-4, I usually go for a system where only one man (either the full-back / wing-back or winger / inside forward) is running to the touchline on the flanks, with the other staying back. Helps me maintain defensive stability because I can rely on the flair of my wide men to beat their men and put in a cross or bring the ball into the penalty box.

For me, my 3-5-1-1 consists of a false nine pulling defenders up for space to open up for attacking midfielders to move in, or a more hardworking defensive forward if I want to play more centrally.

my Kesvick
Registered2013-08-06
ee Ryan >> sunday january 27 - 15:23

I see your point. I've tried going over to 3 DC tactic since the fullbacks leave a gap in degence and areas becoe empty. Sometimes I play a ball winning mid or anchor man to help my defense.

ee Ryan
Registered2016-07-25
eng holt >> sunday january 27 - 15:49

Well,for me I would start off with a pretty defensive 5-3-2 but thenmove onto a pretty insane 3-4-2-1.I would use a tall striker and sometimes play two defensive mids for a   3-2-4-1.Wingers always did the job.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18