Foro: Inglés rss-feed

Este es el foro de debate general en inglés. Cuando escribas una entrada en este foro, debes utilizar este idioma. Las entradas en otros idiomas pueden ser eliminadas sin aviso previo. Este foro se divide en subsecciones para entradas con temas y objetivos distintos. Por favor, escribe sobre los fallos (bugs) del juego en la sección de fallos; antes de escribir una entrada, medita en que subsección dónde debería estar tu entrada.

Inglés >> Fútbol en la vida real

The worry about Coronavirus-2019 (198)

nl Losing >> miércoles marzo 18 - 09:26

I'm having symptoms of which I'm pretty sure it's Covid-19. I'm not high risk but despite that it got pretty bad last Sunday after a slow increase in symptoms, but then Monday morning I was a little better again and since then it hasn't been too bad and seems to be improving slowly. My doctor told me to call the specific public health line for this because even if though I don't need medical attention they might want to have my data point and the WHO has announced that everyone, even with mild symptoms, needs te be tested while the policy here was to only test severe cases, obviously leading to a big underestimation of the number of cases.

I haven't been able to get through to it yet. I should've called last Friday when my temperature got to 38 for the first time just after I had started self-isolating, I could've been the first official case in my town but now it's too late, someone else has the honor :( :P

I might have spread it to some people though. I have (had :P) a daily commute to a city with a lot of infections and all signs point towards being able to spread it in the latter part of the incubation period, so before having symptoms. And I needed to go into town to buy a thermometer Friday morning because mine broke a while ago, and some other necessities because I had a feeling something was coming on.

Funniest thing to happen here: on Sunday, at 17:30, the government announced that practically everything needed to close at 18:00 including the coffeeshops (the name for Dutch weed shops/bars, for those who don't know). Immediately, every single coffeeshop in the country had a huge line of people that they couldn't possibly service in a few minutes. Next thing to happen was the comeback of the street dealers, faster than you could roll a joint. The next morning general practitioners everywhere got overwhelmed by the amount of people requesting medical marijuana (people who rightfully use it medicinally normally just get it at the coffeeshops). That day the government decided to open them again.

Turns out, you can close a lot of things in The Netherlands, but the weed shops are a vital part of our infrastructure.

nl Losing
Usuario
Registrado2017-05-06
il Numpty >> miércoles marzo 18 - 09:53

Sorry to hear that @Losing. I hope you continue to recover quickly and none of your friends and family get it. 

il Numpty
Usuario
Registrado2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
ua Kalle >> miércoles marzo 18 - 10:09

@Losing, get well soon!

I really don't know how to spot Covid-19.. My son has been coughing like crazy since about 1 week, and a child on the school where he has his daycare is diagnosed with Covid-19.

But there is no higher temperature or other symtoms, so could be a cold.

So everything looks like Covid, but could as well be something completely different. But you cant find out, cause there is no testing unless you got really severe symtoms.

ua Kalle
Usuario
Registrado2013-06-19
nl PEC Zwolle
eng Stephen >> miércoles marzo 18 - 10:38

I went to the supermarket this morning. It was like a scene from an apocalyptic film. Empty rows of shelves of things that people couldn’t conceivably want normally. I imagine that when this all blows over, people are going to be finding tins of things they bought for years to come and then throwing them out in three years time when the use by date comes round.

Essentially, people are idiots.

eng Stephen
Administrador Jefe
Registrado2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
ua Kalle >> miércoles marzo 18 - 10:52

@Stephen, same here in the supermarkets. The only mayonnaise left on the shelf was the 100% vegan one (found out that it tastes the same as regular).

But the milk, bread, eggs, most types of cookies, whipcream?? and potato chips where all gone. Not to mention the toilet paper

ua Kalle
Usuario
Registrado2013-06-19
nl PEC Zwolle
il Numpty >> miércoles marzo 18 - 11:02

Supermarkets seem to be the one necessary situation where you are forced to mix with the community. 

I went yesterday evening, hoping it would be a bit quieter. Saw the same empty shelves that others are reporting and also the meat aisles were completely empty. 

I bumped into one acquaintance that I hadn't seen for a long time. Unfortunately he's the kind who invades your personal space when having a conversation and breathes over you. I kept edging away without trying to offend him and every time I moved he just followed me so I escaped as quickly as I could. You'd think people would be a bit more sensible.

il Numpty
Usuario
Registrado2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng Stephen >> miércoles marzo 18 - 13:02

Genuine lol, @Numpty!

eng Stephen
Administrador Jefe
Registrado2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
lv Ar4ers >> miércoles marzo 18 - 18:55

Pray for Italy & Iran

lv Ar4ers
Usuario
Registrado2014-12-30
lv Rīgas Dinamo
eng Dragontao >> miércoles marzo 18 - 21:04

The time for worrying about offending people is over Numpty. Shouting the words "get away from me you plague carrying virus infected vermin" is wholly apprpriate in those situations.

Then while everyone else is fleeing the store in terror, you at least get free choice of the remaining items in stock.

eng Dragontao
Usuario
Registrado2013-09-07
eng Colchester City #2
il Numpty >> miércoles marzo 18 - 23:31

"get away from me you plague carrying virus infected vermin" 

I say that to the mirror every day. :D

il Numpty
Usuario
Registrado2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng Stephen >> jueves marzo 19 - 09:00

You don’t even need to go that far, Dragontao. Just sneeze loudly and people will soon be backing away, if not fleeing in terror.

eng Stephen
Administrador Jefe
Registrado2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
cn Loner >> jueves marzo 19 - 09:56, Editado jueves marzo 19 - 14:17

As a Chinese, I watch the news every day and worry about the current situation in Europe. We have been saying in the news that Europe has begun to strengthen quarantine control measures, but it seems that testing and treatment will not be enough. Since the national mobilization on January 20, 1.4 billion Chinese have been fighting against the virus for two months. At present, China is restoring normal order, and the overall situation in China has improved. In a word, I'm worried about the countries and people that are being affected by the virus. If you see this news from me, what you have to do is pay full attention to the virus. It's important to stay home and not go out. What work and friends gathering are not important at all. When you go out, you must wear a mask, avoid the crowd, disinfect yourself after you go home, start to store materials, protect your family, and make a quarantine plan for one or two months or even longer -- the experience of an ordinary Chinese.

cn Loner
Usuario
Registrado2013-04-07
ie Jin Wudi FC
il Numpty >> jueves marzo 19 - 10:30, Editado jueves marzo 19 - 11:03

Thanks for your advice @Loner. 

Here's a PDF with the detailed advice from the Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team that the UK government - and other countries - seems to be following:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

It was published on Mon 16th March. 

This is from the summary:

• We show that in the UK and US context, suppression will minimally require a combination of social distancing of the entire population, home isolation of cases and household quarantine of their family members. This may need to be supplemented by school and university closures, though it should be recognised that such closures may have negative impacts on health systems due to increased absenteeism.
  • The major challenge of suppression is that this type of intensive intervention package – or something equivalently effective at reducing transmission – will need to be maintained until a vaccine becomes available (potentially 18 months or more) – given that we predict that transmission will quickly rebound if interventions are relaxed. We show that intermittent social distancing – triggered by trends in disease surveillance – may allow interventions to be relaxed temporarily in relative short time windows, but measures will need to be reintroduced if or when case numbers rebound. 

The last paragraph makes it clear that we are in this for the long haul.

The reason is that successfully suppressing the virus means most people won't be infected so no herd immunity develops and it will still be circulating at low levels in the population. So it will likely come in waves once people start mixing again.  

Although this is aimed primarily at the UK, it will apply to most countries acting in the same way. 

Another report on "Symptom progression of COVID-19" by the Imperial College London COVID-19 Response Team published on 11 March 2020. 

https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk:8443/handle/10044/1/77344

il Numpty
Usuario
Registrado2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
cn Loner >> jueves marzo 19 - 10:55, Editado jueves marzo 19 - 11:21

It could be a translation problem. If you and your family are healthy and it's important to be at home, don't go out and be isolated. My city was not very serious before. Millions of people, dozens of infected people. But in this way we still take the most strict measures, close everything, only hospitals and pharmacies, supermarkets are open, schools are closed, restaurants are closed, all shops and entertainment are closed, stop traffic, go out the temperature test, everyone wears masks, everyone disinfect their homes. Everyone stays at home for a month. Daily necessities are purchased online. I didn't go to work for a month, and I didn't take  to visit my parents.

cn Loner
Usuario
Registrado2013-04-07
ie Jin Wudi FC
cn Loner >> jueves marzo 19 - 13:16

For has been infected, should be sent to the specialized hospital immediately isolated treatment. Do not stay at home, or the infected will bring disaster to their families.

In wuhan, early on, because of the shortage of hospitals and doctors. The government has taken measures to isolate patients at home and let them go to hospital by themselves. As a result, many families are inevitably infected at home by their loved ones. The infected person should be sent to the hospital immediately, although he is mildly ill, which is a big test for the government and the hospital. But wuhan's experience suggests it must be done.

After a month of healthy people staying at home, infected people in hospitals, and a tight social lockdown, the situation is better.

cn Loner
Usuario
Registrado2013-04-07
ie Jin Wudi FC