League of England season 52

Forum: League forum rss-feed

Discuss your league, who are the favorites to win the league this season? Who will be promoted/relegated, how are you doing in the cup?

Return to forum index

Penalties!! (23)

il Numpty >> monday july 20 - 13:51, Edited monday july 20 - 13:53

I'm intrigued by the idea that facing opponents that are more skilled in passing and/or scoring could cause more penalties. 

The help says the only skills, besides specials, that are involved in missed tackles and free kicks are duelling, speed and tactics. And high tactics in the defender would be good, not bad.

So facing superior attacking opposition with more passing and scoring won't make any difference unless they are also better in one of those areas. 

Is there some information that I've missed somewhere? 

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng Stephen >> monday july 20 - 15:01

I think that’s my point that you’ve covered from the Help: duelling has to be high enough. Matt’s team has players that have significantly lower duelling than many in the division. But he has players that have tactics that are normal for the division. I don’t think high tactics is good if your player doesn’t have the skills to deliver.

I always train tactics last on young players as I’ve found that this makes them less of a liability in the first team. There’s also the example of that Chinese team who got to the Asian CL final (and may even have won it) with  basically zero tactics on any player.

I don’t think you’re missing any information from the Help, but the game is different in different leagues and competitions in my experience.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
il Numpty >> monday july 20 - 15:42, Edited monday july 20 - 15:48

Okay thanks. 

I agree about low duelling would be the cause of more free kicks and penalties. It's more relevant than the amount of tactics.  But that's compared to other better defenders. 

I'm only attempting to explain why he might be getting more penalties than previously. 

The thing is Matt was comparing his increased penalties with playing in Level 2 and that won't be any different. His players still have the same amount of duelling as before. The better scoring and passing of the attacking players shouldn't make any difference either. 

I'm sticking with my theory that the match plan could be the cause of conceding more penalties against better Level 1 teams. If you go behind and then play 'offensive' that gives a penalty to blocking and duelling. Hence more missed tackles because of the lower duelling. If on the other hand you go ahead against a weaker team in Level 2 and then play defensively that will give a bonus to duelling - so you would get fewer penalties. 

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng Stephen >> monday july 20 - 16:37

I’m also attempting to explain the same thing :)

I think we just have different views on the problem. I’m not convinced about the match plan explanation. I disagree with your view that the opposition makes no difference. I think it makes a huge difference.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
il Numpty >> monday july 20 - 17:06

We'll sort it out on the pitch, lol. 

Oh hang on ... :D :D

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng Matt Turner >> monday july 20 - 20:47

So basically my team is garbage and needs a boot camp to sort them all out!! Lol. I don't think im goi6to invest heavily in the transfer window just to try and stay up for one season tho. I'd be quite happy being a yoyo team for a few seasons tbh as i think I'm getting a better idea as to whats needed. I could do with a decent striker and at least 1 or 2 cb and build from there. I dont think a kitty of around 100m would buy all 3 tho! Lol. Its good to hear others opinions as to why its going wrong, theres no chat whatsoever in L2!! 

eng Matt Turner
User
Registered2013-08-02
eng heavens light
eng Matt Turner >> wednesday july 22 - 18:09

Finally!! 3 points and no penalties! Although it was against bottom of the league so its hard to judge if I've finally sorted the problem out or not. 

eng Matt Turner
User
Registered2013-08-02
eng heavens light
eng Matt Turner >> saturday august 1 - 18:58

I don't want to tempt fate but it looks like my penalty problem may be sorted!! Still leaking goals but I've managed to string a few results together to give myself a good chance of survival! Thanks for all your help, i didn't realise how vital the correct skill is!! 

eng Matt Turner
User
Registered2013-08-02
eng heavens light