Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> General discussion

Should team names have (more) restrictions? (5)

nl Corniel >> tuesday april 9 - 21:18
I reported a bug about a Hebrew right to left name, but the reason I found it, had more to do when I was searching for some funny names.

Of course I have me thoughts about 20 different Manchester United teams in all kind of different leagues (and Ajax, Juventus, Barcelona ect...). But with so much teams, you can not expect everybody to come up with some unique creative name, can you?

But what about teams with only Chinese (ore Hebrew) characters? The first category now appears through different competitions as new Chinese players probably think to have more fun at a League Level 1 or 2 then at the Chinese competition Level 7, but for me it confusing.

Did I Play 橙之霸 or 天津集贤 already? I hardly can distinguish them, and I think I'm not the only one.

And what about "☆★Colorful Days★☆" and "FC :))"?

I'm interested about your opinions. Is this a non-issue, or are there people who like to restrict names? (Besides a name like F#CKIN' FC)
nl Corniel
Registered2012-12-18
nl Corniel >> tuesday april 9 - 21:26
Lol, I just found that "曼聯" (first Chinese Champion) means Manchester United. QED
nl Corniel
Registered2012-12-18
tw 小冠 >> tuesday april 9 - 21:34
I think it's more proper to have one domestic team name and one English name.

Most of you know Shanghai Shenhua (上海申花) as the former team of Drogba and Anelka.

And I know there's a difference if we take a look at ......

Футбольный клуб Зенит (Football Club Zenit)

I can not read Russian.

ΠΑΕ Ολυμπιακός (Olympiacos F.C.)

I can not read Greek, either.
tw 小冠
Registered2013-03-29
pl Tomplus >> tuesday april 9 - 23:59
I agree with you Corniel. Players shouldn't be able to use the strange sing (☆★ or (): !@#$%^&* ).

And it would be best if it was used the Latin alphabet.
pl Tomplus
User
Registered2013-02-08
pl Sarmacja Będzin
nl Vincent de Boer >> wednesday april 10 - 09:46
I've changed the restrictions of team names.

You can now always use latin characters, but special scripts (like chinese or hebrew) are only allowed in countries that use them.

So you can still use chinese teamnames but only if your team plays in the league of a country whose language is chinese (for example China or Taiwan)

I'm not sure what to do about the existing teamnames though, I didn't change them.
nl Vincent de Boer
Head Developer
Registered2012-10-15