Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> Questions

National Cup Seeding (3)

ca CyAmethyst >> saturday december 21 - 06:12

How does the seeding for the National Cup really work?

I just advanced to the Quarterfinals of the Icelandic National Cup and I was expecting to take on the team who won their fixture right above mine.

Instead, I got sent to a completely different opponent who's bracket makes less sense. If anyone can explain this to me, I'd appreciate it.

ca CyAmethyst
Registered2017-11-10
nl Losing >> saturday december 21 - 06:56

It's random except for who plays home or away if one team plays in a higher league than the other. You can only be sure of your opponent in the final. 

nl Losing
User
Registered2017-05-06
il Numpty >> saturday december 21 - 11:00

Exactly as @Losing says.

In addition there is a "seeding" which is based on league position. Teams from higher levels enter in later rounds, which probably doesn't make much difference in your country but does in countries with many teams. 

In England, for example, R1 is a preliminary round and most teams enter in R2, 32 teams enter in R3, 16 teams in R4, 8 teams in R5 and 4 teams in R6, where Round 6 is the round of 32  

Thus with a good draw it's possible for a lower league team to get as many cup matches as the eventual winner.  

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets