Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> Real life soccer

Locked World Cup (508)

eng holt >> friday july 20 - 13:52

@Andrei "Was it really required for you to post that?"

Jeez man you gotta banter.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
ca Alex Seymour >> friday july 20 - 17:11

Not sure I really like the idea of 3 countries hosting the world Cup. I like it when just 1 country does it. The tornament has an identity then. I guess it's so expensive that no country really wants to take it on.

ca Alex Seymour
User
Registered2013-12-02
ca Hamilton FC
ro Andrei >> friday july 20 - 18:14, Edited friday july 20 - 18:14
No, you don't gotta, Holt. :p

Now let's get back to the topic.
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
ee Balthazor >> friday july 20 - 19:31

It will be quite surely 48 teams to host. Mexico has experience with 24 teams from 1986 and US from 1994. So it would be big bite for every host. 

I'm quite sure that currently planned 16x3 groups will be bad idea as most of eliminated teams will be those who can't play on last matchday. There will be some "disgrace of Gijon" replays, maybe  displayed with better scenario planned by both teams. There is always chance to eliminate third team if it has no positive GD after two matches. 

ee Balthazor
User
Registered2013-12-01
ee Dünamo Tallinn
eng Stephen >> friday july 20 - 21:36

I also have serious reservations about this, Balthazor. You've highlighted some of the potential problems there.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
ro Andrei >> saturday july 21 - 03:30
What? They've actually planned 16x3? That's just plain stupid. Why not 12x4?
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
eng holt >> saturday july 21 - 03:45

With 3 side groups,I'm looking forward to the Old-School Germany VS Austria match.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
ca denisgrad >> saturday july 21 - 05:18

Thats my dillema as Canadian. Happy we are finally gonna be in world cup in 2026. But so disappointed they changed the format in the tournament I probably wouldnt have watched it if Canada wasnt in it.

ca denisgrad
Registered2013-04-22
ro ALEX >> saturday july 21 - 05:35, Edited saturday july 21 - 08:44

Yea, the odd numbers of teams in group are weird, and affect the teams that can't play the last matchday.

The non-powers of 2 as group numbers will require a position where the qualification in the next stage from a certain position will require some extra luck from the other groups.

A 8x6 teams can fix these 2 "issues", but 6 teams in a group is kinda weird, and, looking at the matchdays, they will be 5+4, pretty inefficient number.

With 12x4 or 16x3 -> 3 + 4 or 5, depending on how many rounds of eliminatories are wanted. (4 for 16 teams in; 5 for 32 teams in)

ro ALEX
Registered2015-06-13
eng holt >> saturday july 21 - 07:06

8X6 will actually ensure that there aren't any "lucky" teams making it through.Don't know whether that is a good thing or not.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
rs Miroslav Karaicic >> saturday july 21 - 11:25

A three team group can work only if the winnig team from the first group match does not play the second match. This way the losing team gets a immediate chance to catch up, and the winning team has the oportunity to finish off everything in the last game, without risking to be cheated. Still, I think 3 team groups are stupid. Any system that allows cheating in the last match day is just not good.

rs Miroslav Karaicic
Translator
Registered2015-01-24
ee Balthazor >> sunday july 22 - 18:18, Edited sunday july 22 - 18:21

Main arguement for 16x3 is overall number of matches: 48. With 12x4 it would be 72 and group phase would last too long as in 2 first rounds there is no more than 3 matches per day and add almost week to length of tournament. With 8x6 groups there would be even more matches(8x15=120) in group phase, that would sound too mad.

I would prefer 12x4- it holds tension in groups to last matches and no such matches where both teams play just for their honour like Saudi-Egypt (and couple of more)was. 

ee Balthazor
User
Registered2013-12-01
ee Dünamo Tallinn
nz Starris1 >> thursday july 26 - 02:52

Why change something that isn't broken.

Russia was one of the greatest world cups to date.

Only one nil all draw, lots of upsets, lots of goals.

Hell a team with about 4million people almost took it out.

48 teams just serves to dilute the big games.

There will be more mismatched games as minnows get slaughtered by stronger sides.

I'd love to see New Zealand in there more often but only when it's derserved like the two times we hae made it.

nz Starris1
User
Registered2018-06-22
lv Namejs >> thursday july 26 - 06:00

Starris, that's what people said about 24 team European Championship but that worked perfectly.

lv Namejs
Community admin
Registered2014-07-06
lv Taurupes Dusmīgie Bebri
ro Andrei >> thursday july 26 - 09:15
And how will this work with 16x3? Because it's pure madness.
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30