Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> Real life soccer

It's for the KOP (1052)

eng holt >> monday may 28 - 03:34

It really came apart for him in the Finals.Played so good throughout the season.Unfortunate.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
my Kesvick >> monday june 4 - 23:18

https://twitter.com/MarkOgden_/status/1003706798849904640

Well, that clears up a lot.

my Kesvick
Registered2013-08-06
eng Lee >> tuesday june 5 - 01:17

Sadly, it probably won't stop the abuse.

eng Lee
User
Registered2014-10-14
eng Canvey Pixels
eng holt >> tuesday june 5 - 03:14

I don't think that most people can deal a whack to the side of their head by an elbow.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
my Kesvick >> tuesday june 5 - 05:06

It would be good to mandate concussion checks after every head trauma incident, and to be much more strict with stuff like this.

my Kesvick
Registered2013-08-06
eng holt >> tuesday june 5 - 09:20

Maybe,but then you have issues such as time-wasting being raised by other fans.

I still don't undersatnd why the clock can't be stopped when an incident takes place,like other sports.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
my Kesvick >> tuesday june 5 - 10:27

@holt, as far as I know, "it's tradition" and "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" are the main points for it.

I did not understand the points used for VAR, where we want decisions to be right every time, but not for this.

my Kesvick
Registered2013-08-06
eng Stephen >> tuesday june 5 - 18:53

You do realise that time gets added on for injuries?

The problem with VAR as I see it is that a lot of decisions in football are subjective. The laws of the game contain a lot of room for interpretation. What does 'deliberate' mean in terms of whether it's handball? The laws also contain phrases like: "in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force" which is taken from Law 12 around fouls and misconduct.

When you're faced with a decision that is binary, such as did the ball cross the line - it either did or it didn't - VAR and other technology can work very well.

As for things like concussion, it's just not taken seriously enough. There have been some interesting studies on head injuries in football, but there doesn't appear to be the will from either the FA or the PFA to really try and change things. Probably the most famous case in England is that of Jeff Astle. At an inquest into his death, the coroner (essentially a judge) ruled that he had died from industrial injuries. This means he effectively said that heading the ball (and any other blows to the head) had caused his death. There are plenty of articles on the web about it, but read here if you want more information:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/jeff-astle-feature-jeff-died-not-knowing-hed-been-a-footballer-10166214.html

The US research into CTE and the reaction to it in sports like American Football appear to me to be a long way ahead of football. Perhaps other countries are more progressive, but football in Britain is deeply conservative.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
eng Dragontao >> tuesday june 5 - 20:40

Didn't Van Dijk nudge Ramos into Karius? I'm sure Ramos would have taken the opportunity to use it to his advantage when it presented itself though.

I've not seen a particularly good video of the point of impact, only clips from some way off, so I have not seen exactly where the blow landed. 

It didn't look a particularly severe blow to me though. If it resulted in concussion it was pure bad luck. At the time Karius showed no apparent ill effects. Got up immediately. He never lost consciousness. Seemed fully aware of his surroundings, was complaining to the ref immediately. Possible slight delayed reaction but he made other saves and correct decisions after and before the second Bale goal. 

Maybe it was caused by the kicking the Liverpool players gave him in the changing room after tha match. ;-)

Still, it's nice for the victims to have an extra excuse.

Plenty of people can take elbow strikes. Most MMA fighters get worse than that every time they fight. Then there are those elbow strikes which may be slightly more vicious.

https://youtu.be/yEizMbUR3cE

https://youtu.be/Uh9l58GUZNc

https://youtu.be/RBpffwzl2_4

I love elbow strikes, one of my favourite techniques. Great for close quarters.

eng Dragontao
User
Registered2013-09-07
eng Colchester City #2
eng holt >> wednesday june 6 - 07:31, Edited wednesday june 6 - 07:39

@Dragontao Yea but they are MA Fighters for a reason.They are trained to deal with them.Footballers usually aren't trained to get a flying kick.(I know it seems out of context , but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V90MlK8CdxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NXiZQaAirk

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
il h83 >> friday june 8 - 12:49

someome can tell about all the new players for liverpool?

il h83
User
Registered2016-07-13
my Kesvick >> friday june 8 - 13:02

For the coming season, Liverpool have signed:

• Naby Keita.
  • Nabil Fekir.
  • Fabinho.

I don't know much about Fabinho to actually say anything about him, apart from that he is a defensive midfielder.

Nabil Fekir, I feel is an unnecessary buy; IMHO Liverpool cannot properly fit him in the team without sacrificing one of their hottest players.

Naby Keita, I am really looking forward to this one. He is an absolute midfield phenomenon.

Do you want more elaboration?

my Kesvick
Registered2013-08-06
eng holt >> friday june 8 - 14:48

I really don't know how Fekir will fit.Attack is sorted.The midfield replacements easily replace Can.Dont want to see Gini or Lallana getting sacrificed for Fekir.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
my Kesvick >> friday june 8 - 15:19

@holt, I know, right?

I feel that the Liverpool team that we saw in the semi-final works.

The defence, barring Dejan Lovren, is set for the next few years. The defensive midfield triangle of Jordan Henderson and James Milner protecting the defence (with Henderson having more passing duties) and Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain as a runner was balanced. And the attack...enough said.

Whenever Philippe Coutinho played, everyone knew that play was going to go through him. It made Liverpool predictable, which also made them particularly vulnerable to counter-attacks simply because of the way they played, if the enemy could get past the counter-pressing. As it is now, Liverpool have so many different weapons to use to attack with, it's not even funny.

Where could Nabil Fekir play? In Ox's role? Then we'd just get another Coutinho situation again. In the attacking line? Who would be replaced? Any other case, he would be a depth signing...which is probably something that he does not want.

my Kesvick
Registered2013-08-06
eng holt >> saturday june 9 - 04:27

Lol Lyon just came out saying that the news of his transfer is fake.Its getting messy....

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18