League of England season 55

Forum: League forum rss-feed

Discuss your league, who are the favorites to win the league this season? Who will be promoted/relegated, how are you doing in the cup?

Return to forum index

Season 72 (100)

fo BakerMan >> saturday april 29 - 11:39

2 big games tomorrow - second leg of the European League (tied at 1-1) and home league game with Candas...

fo BakerMan
User
Registered2013-04-05
eng Jaypridee Town
il Numpty >> saturday april 29 - 17:27, Edited saturday april 29 - 17:28

After coming very close to a major trophy so many times you are now in with a chance of claiming a remarkable treble. 

You certainly deserve it so I'm hoping you manage to win all 3. That would be something special.

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
fo BakerMan >> saturday april 29 - 18:17

After today's results the league looks promising...4 points needed from 3 games.

The European League is going to be pot luck...if I get past Marzon tomorrow, it's probably Pisa in the final and they are strong - their forward line outclasses mine...

fo BakerMan
User
Registered2013-04-05
eng Jaypridee Town
fo BakerMan >> saturday april 29 - 18:22

In a way I am sort of disappointed that all it took was buying a stupidly good goalkeeper...

All those seasons building up to YA5 to wait for them to come through to the first team and what I really needed to do was buy a GK.

Now the number crunching begins on how I can keep him for the next few seasons...

fo BakerMan
User
Registered2013-04-05
eng Jaypridee Town
eng Lee >> saturday april 29 - 20:27

Good luck BakerMan - hope your patience and perseverance pays off this season.

eng Lee
User
Registered2014-10-14
eng Canvey Pixels
fr Blackwhite >> sunday april 30 - 08:00, Edited sunday april 30 - 08:04

Congratulations Bakerman on your 1st Cup of England while waiting for the 1st league title today

Despite his high salary, your goalkeeper Tibon will have been a key part of these victories. I knew this when I bought mine (Manzanera) hence the importance of the goalkeeper

Only one defeat for your team this season at home against Canvey Pixels but it was the 1st league game at home without your injured goalkeeper (4 goals conceded out of the current 12)

fr Blackwhite
Community admin
Registered2015-09-30
fr Les Licornes Blanches
il Numpty >> sunday april 30 - 08:33

I think this exposes the major flaw in the current game. 

The wages of the superstar players are so high that most clubs won't buy them and this keeps their transfer values very low in relation to their ability. So at the top of the game the player wages and the transfer prices are out of balance.

It also lowers the incentive to train your own players.

The key to winning the major trophies is being prepared to pay the massive wages which usually means crippling the club's finances. 

The game won't let you buy players if you can't afford the transfer fee. But it will let you buy players when you can't afford to pay their wages. 

That's madness and it needs fixing. 

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
fo BakerMan >> sunday april 30 - 09:21

Numpty - I agree entirely. Tibon was meant to be a one season test to see if that was really what it took to win trophies from where I was. The answer is a resonding yes! - and it's not as if I had a bad goalkeeper before, he was rated high 20s and was the England GK!

I'd spent god knows how many seasons nurturing my level 5 YA academies players through to the first team and was still stuck - always in the European places (for 25+ seasons) but no trophies. We are now basically in the situation that without a superstar GK, you aren't going to win anything...

Now its worked, the question is can I work out the maths on how to keep him - he's going to get cheaper each year...

fo BakerMan
User
Registered2013-04-05
eng Jaypridee Town
il Numpty >> sunday april 30 - 12:21, Edited sunday april 30 - 12:26

I recall when Durrance (a GK) effectively won the world cup on his own. I think he was rated in the low 30s when at the time most of the best players were in the low 20s. The opponents just couldn't score.

But for me the issue isn't really about the keepers, it's the fact that the superstar wages are so out of balance with the transfer values together with there being no financial fair play rules. 

1. If the wages were a lot lower there would be many more buyers and the transfer values would be much higher.  This would make it a lot more attractive to develop your own players. 

2. If there were some kind of financial fair play rules, then you would be prevented from assembling a squad where you can't afford to play their wages. Either that or the clubs get penalised if they go into the red. Such as point deductions and/or being barred from international tournaments.

Either or both of these would make for a fairer game for everyone.

Just to be clear I have no issue with clubs playing that way at present as it's a perfectly legitimate way to play. But it would be better if the issue was fixed going forward.

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
fr Blackwhite >> sunday april 30 - 15:51

2nd consecutive away match where one of my players scores 1 own goal at the last second of the match: These are therefore 2 draws while the victories were acquired

fr Blackwhite
Community admin
Registered2015-09-30
fr Les Licornes Blanches
ca Alex Seymour >> sunday april 30 - 20:10

Keepers are now way too powerful. It's a shame as it's easy to fix.

I wish Vincent would just come back for a few hours and tweak the super hero goalkeeper stats and wage issues Numpty pointed out.

I think these few simple fixes would allow this game to continue for many years as we have a loyal fan base of users that would keep playing.

Does anybody have a contect for Vincent? If we detailed the fixes in an email, I feel he could have a solution within a few hours.

ca Alex Seymour
User
Registered2013-12-02
ca Hamilton FC
il Numpty >> sunday april 30 - 20:28

Congrats on the double @Bakerman. One more to go ...

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng Lee >> sunday april 30 - 21:31

Congratulations BakerMan - the long wait is over!

eng Lee
User
Registered2014-10-14
eng Canvey Pixels
eng Monk >> monday may 1 - 05:29

Congratulations on the double BakerMan! Well deserved and good luck in your bid for a fabulous treble. 

eng Monk
User
Registered2013-09-01
eng Scammonden Daoists
eng Monk >> monday may 1 - 06:44

On a separate note, the highest star player for all top six teams is their keeper.

eng Monk
User
Registered2013-09-01
eng Scammonden Daoists