League of England season 56

Forum: League forum rss-feed

Discuss your league, who are the favorites to win the league this season? Who will be promoted/relegated, how are you doing in the cup?

Return to forum index

The Journey: Road To League One (59)

ro Andrei >> monday march 5 - 04:21
Two-thirds into the season ... we are up into 2nd place, challenging for the playoffs. It is more than an unexpected position for the Marvels. The boys have been playing really well though and there might be an outside shot at a few extra games after the regular season ends.

That will probably be determined though by the outcome of the following 3 games, where we face 3 of the current top 6. A positive outcome from those games will keep us as solid favorites in the hunt for the playoffs. If we lose all three, we'll be in for a big fight all the way to the end.

Come on, M&Ms!
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
eng Monk >> tuesday march 6 - 11:50

Good to see you progress Andrei. Keep it tight at the back and you could well make those play offs! Good luck.

eng Monk
User
Registered2013-09-01
eng Scammonden Daoists
ro Andrei >> wednesday march 7 - 18:48, Edited thursday march 8 - 14:28
Cheers, brother Monk.

Now I lost one yesterday and I won one today, after being 0-1 down. I'd call that a positive outcome. It would be even more positive if I could steal at least a point from tomorrow's game.

From this point forward, the opposition is 'slightly' easier. Slightly, key word. I still have to play the leaders on Day 32 and 5th place on Day 33. Worcester has some tough games coming too though.

To be honest though, I believe my team is too weak to survive the playoffs though, after seeing some potential League 3 opponents. So I don't know if I should or if I shouldn't push for the playoffs.

EDIT: Mission accomplished, point stolen at YARO. :)
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
ro Andrei >> saturday march 10 - 19:01, Edited saturday march 10 - 19:24
Major moment in the club's history.

First league game where we have an all-English starting 11. Hope we also get a positive result from it as well. It's been a long journey since starting this challenge towards an all-English team, this is the first big step towards that objective.

Guess we won't really accomplish that objective until we either sell McDonald or he retires as staff member. Because he's there to stay in the first 11, unless he's injured or suspended. :)
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
ro Andrei >> sunday march 11 - 19:47
Final stretch. We just drew 0-0 against the leaders. We are still in a playoff spot.

One more tough game to come, the one tomorrow against 5th place. Worcester and Dean Cogan still have to face each other, that's on Tuesday. Also Worcester need to play the league leaders Deptford on the last league day. Technically, this last week favors us for the playoffs.

However, I am still unsure whether or not I should be pushing for playoffs, considering the potential teams that I would be facing. A lot stronger than me, that is.

Nonetheless, we will keep going. This is already a successful season, regardless whether we will be in the playoffs or not.

Come on, M&Ms!
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
ro Andrei >> saturday march 17 - 18:31, Edited saturday march 17 - 20:48
This just in ... the Marvels reach the playoffs. It will be a difficult task to advance to League 3, but we're going to try anyway. What do we have to lose? We just had our best season ever. Not just in League 4, but since starting this ambitious project. Nothing can change that.

A promotion would only be the cherry on the icing on the cake.

Let's go, boys!

EDIT

And now I can officially kick myself for not pushing for a win in one of those 1-1 draws. :/
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
ro Andrei >> tuesday march 20 - 18:47, Edited wednesday march 21 - 04:08
The boys are off to Round 2 of the playoffs. Double 1-0 victories in two games where our opponents had only 2 shots on target. In total, that is.

This is where things will become a whole lot tougher, because our potential opponents from League 3 are much better than us.

Then again ... the ball is round and anything can happen. So ... let's keep going! :)

P.S. And, of course, I get the toughest of the 4 opponents. But we will play our very best.
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
ro Andrei >> friday april 20 - 18:41
Still in League 4 this season ... But we are making a serious push for promotion this time around. We've been in the top 3 pretty much the entire first half of the season. Now, after 21 matches, the Albion have taken charge and pulled away from their main rivals, Dagenham United, after they slipped up today.

This will most likely go down to the wire. This Wednesday, we are taking on Dagenham at home. A win would give us some breathing room at the top of the table. Any other result would keep things tight and any slip-up could decide the league title.

This season we are not going for 2nd or 3rd. We want to win the league to guarantee promotion. Any other result is not really acceptable. If we can't win, then we won't go for promotion. Simple as that.
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
ro Andrei >> wednesday may 16 - 03:31
One more season in League 4. It's a good to see that it is a constant progress every season. Especially as far as the number of points is concerned. The team does seem to play better, score more goals, concede less. But, at the final hurdles, it just seems to stumble. The Albion needs to find that extra edge to get to the finish line first. Or at least get past the playoffs.

Will it be this season? Tune in to find out.
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
ro Andrei >> monday july 2 - 18:29
Another failure in the playoffs.

Youth Academy 10 is up. So time to start bringing in better English talent. Hopefully I'll get some good ones in.

9 seasons in League 4 and, honestly, it is getting beyond frustrating. Three seasons in a row I finished 2nd and I was unable to get past the playoffs. I really need to get out of League 4 ASAP.

I am giving myself a RL year (7 seasons) to get out of League 4. If I don't make it by July 1st next year ... then I will consider this 'Road to League 1' a failure and move elsewhere. Because, if even after 16 seasons I won't make it out, then clearly I am not good enough.

Hopefully I won't be leaving, because I'd really like to reach at least League 2 in the English pyramid at some point.

Anyway ... see you next season!
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
ro Andrei >> tuesday july 31 - 20:28, Edited wednesday august 1 - 13:38
So I've decided to cut this adventure short.

I am clearly below the standards for the English league system. Struggling to get out of League 4, three failed playoff attemtps ... I can only imagine how it would be in League 3. Not to mention higher levels, if getting there. Big IF.

So, even if, by some miracle, get the team promoted at the end of this season, you won't be seeing me with the team next season. I have decided to cut my frustration short and go to greener pastures. Colder ones too ... One of you knows what I'm talking about. :)

Thanks for having me here for almost two years. But this adventure will be coming to an end, once the regular season ends.

Hope that some of you will follow my adventure with the new team. I will be trying to help a lowly country in Europe to get higher up in the European league rankings. Of course, it will be a long journey ... but I intend to do my best to see that one through. (Famous last words.)

Not that many promotions needed there anyway. :)

P.S. If someone is interested in taking over the team after I am leaving, do let me know through private messaging. It would be a pity to let all that work go to waste.
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
eng Dragontao >> wednesday august 1 - 06:36

A shame, it was always going to be a tough task though.

eng Dragontao
User
Registered2013-09-07
eng Colchester City #2
jp Natsumi >> wednesday august 1 - 10:49, Edited wednesday august 1 - 10:50

I for one am going to msis your posts they always made for a interesting read, sadly the dream was just too big, it took serveral years real life time for me to make it to where I am now..  and rocking soccer was far less comepetitive and popular then when I was in league 4 and 3 it was mostly just bot team's and even league 2 didn't have many players with massive experience, no level 10 stadimuns and i was buying players at transfer market that had 3-4 star value, and i thought that was amazingly good.

jp Natsumi
Registered2013-08-08
ro Andrei >> wednesday august 1 - 13:37
Thank you for the nice words.

In hindsight, I think I made things more complicated for myself by insisting on developing the team almost exclusively through the youth team. A big proportion of the current players came from the youth system. And they don't develop too quickly, obviously.

I think some more transfers (and loans) might've helped me.

Maybe even could've abused the transfer market a bit too, like I've seen others do. Buy 16-17 year-olds, train for one-two seasons, then sell. Although that isn't really my style of play. Mostly because I get too attached to my players. :)
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30