League of England season 58

Forum: League forum rss-feed

Discuss your league, who are the favorites to win the league this season? Who will be promoted/relegated, how are you doing in the cup?

Return to forum index

Season 78 (72)

il Numpty >> sunday february 25 - 15:29, Edited sunday february 25 - 15:32

Have you tried cruising the bars in Soho? 

Young, strong and hard. :/

Not my personal experience but that's what my friend told me. :D

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng Lee >> monday february 26 - 19:14

The Pixels have revised their U21 recruitment policy to mirror the inscription on the Statue of Liberty:

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

eng Lee
User
Registered2014-10-14
eng Canvey Pixels
eng Monk >> monday february 26 - 20:12

Nice quote Lee. 

Scammonden's defeat in today's 5 goal thriller against Jaypridee blows the title race wide open. Seaburn's visit to the Monastery shortly will be a fascinating affair. Well done BakerMan, great result for your boys!

eng Monk
User
Registered2013-09-01
eng Scammonden Daoists
eng wonderlust >> monday february 26 - 23:27

Well, that was an unexpected twist in the title battle.  Spanner in the works delivered!

eng wonderlust
User
Registered2014-10-30
eng Forever We Are Wolves
eng Stephen >> tuesday february 27 - 20:39

Classic stuff. One shot, one goal. 20-odd shots, one goal. The magic of 'minimise defeat' is alive and well

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
fr Blackwhite >> thursday february 29 - 08:43

Daniel Fairfoot, 70 years old, Man of the match ==> Scenario of an unreal match in the semi-final of the English Cup.

How far will we go with this type of goalkeeper who swings a match against managers who invest in or build a competitive team in order to enjoy the game?

And for the moment Noah Furis, 79-year-old goalkeeper, is ranked as the best goalkeeper in the championship for the moment

Do we really need to resolve this problem of the age of the goalkeepers for this game to be credible?

fr Blackwhite
Community admin
Registered2015-09-30
fr Les Licornes Blanches
eng Monk >> thursday february 29 - 11:01

Thanks Blackwhite,

I share your frustration. Daniel Fairfoot has caused considerable problems for me in recent seasons and some variable within the engine might mean that Oxford always seem to be my bogey team, overperforming whenever I play them. As a result, indications were that I only had a 67% chance of winning that one I reckon. I just seemed to run out of luck.

Scammonden's thoughts now turn to the league with ten games in the run-in.

Run-in
Scammonden:
Crucial
Home v Seaburn
Tricky:
Away v Forever Wolves & Tottenham
Home v Oxford, Wonderbras & Cardiff
Others I'd be disappointed not to win.

Seaburn
Crucial
Away v Scammonden
Tricky
Home v Wonderbras, Cardiff & Newcastle
Other games I suggest Seaburn would be disappointed not to win.

On a positive note, it's real progress for me to be challenging for the title in the final 10 game run-in. The Seaburn game will be.....interesting :-)

eng Monk
User
Registered2013-09-01
eng Scammonden Daoists
il Numpty >> thursday february 29 - 11:14, Edited thursday february 29 - 11:53

To be fair the whole game is sheer fantasy. 

Everything about the game is made up. They aren't real players or real buildings or real matches and exist only as bits and bytes in a database on a server somewhere in the Netherlands.

Noah Furis, the supposed 79 year old, was promoted at the age of 16 a little over 9 years ago. So by my reckoning that now makes him a 25 year old and all the outfield players are really still teenagers. But the truth is he's really only 79 or even 25 in our imagination.

I do get the point that the old keepers are less credible than most of the rest of it. But that's just a more extreme aspect of the fantasy.

Having said that I'm not against it being 'cleaned up' at some point. The real difficulty is that many of these players exist throughout the game and they have been traded for a long time on the transfer market. 

As things stand although they may seem a little silly to some people, there's no inherent unfairness as everyone has an equal opportunity to buy them and use them. So it's a choice.

In fact Oxford bought Fairfoot in Season 62 when he was, supposedly, aged 54. Anyone else could have bid and bought him at a similar price, which is perfectly fair.  Why is that frustrating?

Maybe some managers choose not to have them, but others have had the foresight and patience to build their clubs and strategies around using them. And that can't be unpicked or 'fixed' without making the game massively unfair to those who have spent a lot of time, effort and money on their chosen strategy.

In my view the only way to do it fairly would be to leave the existing players alone and bring in a completely new generation of youngsters that work differently. I also believe that's what happened with a new version of players in the past.

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
ie Charlie Mopps >> thursday february 29 - 11:25

Some weeks ago I saw that one of the creators of the game, Sjoerd Hemminga, connected by signing up with a new team in the Netherlands.

I thought he came back to fix the game, but he didn't.

I was thinking of writing to him on LinkedIn, since he doesn't even read the support email...

ie Charlie Mopps
User
Registered2014-08-26
eng Liverpool FC★
il Numpty >> thursday february 29 - 11:43, Edited thursday february 29 - 11:53

Not a new team Charlie. 

Sjoerd has been with his team, FC Zwijndrecht, from the beginning of the game. But he's never tried to compete and has spent most of his career in Netherlands level 3. He seems to sign in most days

https://rockingsoccer.com/en/soccer/info/manager-34 

As far as I know Vincent and Sjoerd have separate roles. Vincent is the main game programmer.  Sjoerd appears to primarily deal with maintaining the servers and may make minor coding changes such as the recent Ad for credits and player images fix.

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng Lee >> thursday february 29 - 22:52

4 wins from 4 has catapulted the Pixels up the table, and resulted in the dumber fans chanting 'Europe, Europe' (it's sad how they don't realise it's not mathematically possible).

There are only 1 or 2 winable games remaining, so I don't expect the points total to change much but I'm feeling fairly confident the hard work has been done.

eng Lee
User
Registered2014-10-14
eng Canvey Pixels
eng Monk >> friday march 1 - 11:04

4 goals from 4 shots in the first 20 minutes saw Seaburn blow away the Scammonden defence and put Seaburn, at least temporarily, in charge of the title race. Shell-shocked Scammonden manager Monk was unavailable for comment. He was last seen wandering aimlessly across the moors, possibly looking for a way forward.

The Abbot appeared at the press conference and was quoted as saying "Congratulations to Seaburn on a magnificent first half. They continue to set the standard to which we all aspire. Is the title race over? No, certainly not. We will approach every match with determination and I'm sure that there are still twists and turns to come in this title race."

eng Monk
User
Registered2013-09-01
eng Scammonden Daoists
eng Stephen >> friday march 1 - 11:07

If I ever criticise my assistant again, remind me of this:

https://rockingsoccer.com/en/soccer/info/match-25100971

I'd given this title up as lost but maybe it'll go down to the wire after all.

That's an insane shot conversion rate from my lot though. Don't remember anything like it. 5 from 7!

Note to self: start setting formations before you get dragged into a load of work that you can't take a break from.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
eng Dragontao >> friday march 1 - 18:07, Edited friday march 1 - 19:51

Title race blown wide open in spectacular style. Wow.

I'm not sure I agree that a match against my lot is tricky for either you or Stephen, Monk.

The best I can usually hope for is nil, and your strikers have a very bad day in a 0-0 draw.

I've lost count of the scouts I've pushed to exhaustion or mental breakdowns trying to come up with a formation and strategy that gives me an earthly.

I've just looked at my run in, some tough games and I seem to be picking up injuries. I somehow thing it's going to be like last season and I'll fall out of the European places  again.

eng Dragontao
User
Registered2013-09-07
eng Colchester City #2
eng Dragontao >> saturday march 2 - 21:26

Hmmm.  Perhaps my team can be tricky.  Forced changes through injuries. One of my two decent strikers missing.

Unexpected result and another twist in the title race.

eng Dragontao
User
Registered2013-09-07
eng Colchester City #2