League of England season 69

Forum: League forum rss-feed

Discuss your league, who are the favorites to win the league this season? Who will be promoted/relegated, how are you doing in the cup?

Return to forum index

Season 77 (43)

eng Lee >> monday january 1 - 16:34

BakerMan - that's a real spanking. Were the home fans singing the famous song Mambo No. 5? 

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=mambo+number+5&type=E210CA0G0#id=1&vid=1b7840ac37da9820f60db2aef19b497c&action=click

eng Lee
User
Registered2014-10-14
eng Canvey Pixels
il Numpty >> monday january 1 - 22:17, Edited monday january 1 - 22:17

There's a lot to be said for a good spanking. :D

We must have had the luck of the draw in the youth cup - somehow we've reached the semis without having a keeper. The rest of the team is nothing special either. Weird.

Whoever gets us in the draw can count on reaching the final. 

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng Lee >> wednesday january 3 - 23:05

The top 2 have started to break away from the chasing pack......can Canvey go toe-to-toe with Seaburn?

eng Lee
User
Registered2014-10-14
eng Canvey Pixels
ca Alex Seymour >> wednesday january 3 - 23:33

Like the Christmas decorations, Canvey are coming down soon as well.

ca Alex Seymour
User
Registered2013-12-02
ca Hamilton FC
fo BakerMan >> thursday january 4 - 18:23

The breakaway was just a product of the timing of fixtures me thinks!

After the result today, the answer to Lee's question looks like a no - unless something strange happens, it's another Seaburn title...

fo BakerMan
User
Registered2013-04-05
eng Jaypridee Town
eng Lee >> thursday january 4 - 20:28

BakerMan - I play Seaburn in 20 minutes but I doubt anything strange will happen, so it's down to someone else to stop the Seaburn train!

eng Lee
User
Registered2014-10-14
eng Canvey Pixels
fo BakerMan >> sunday january 7 - 22:09

Just a general question - do players die, or are we eventually going to have a league full of 200 year old goalkeepers?

fo BakerMan
User
Registered2013-04-05
eng Jaypridee Town
fo BakerMan >> sunday january 7 - 22:11

Because it got silly about 30 seasons ago and now its just ridiculous. Anyone know the oldest active player?

fo BakerMan
User
Registered2013-04-05
eng Jaypridee Town
eng Dragontao >> monday january 8 - 00:33

I suspect they'll be alive as long as they're being picked by a human team.

Though it would be funny if Vincent had written some code that at a certain age they just pop their clogs. Not just an injury during a match, but a sudden death.

You can just imagine the commentary:
59: The keeper is carried from the pitch. Attempts to revive the 120 year old have failed.
58: An innocuous shot from Smith hits the keeper, who staggers and falls to the floor. This looks serious.

eng Dragontao
User
Registered2013-09-07
eng Colchester City #2
eng Monk >> monday january 8 - 07:33

For me, it's the most irritating part off the game and spoils my enjoyment. My second team I'm just developing an u21 team. It could end up being how i play the game in the long term from here, just concentrating on the u21 competitions as there are now quite a few issues with the senior game: aging keepers getting better and better; teams stacking up money and then developing incredible teams which run for seasons,even after facilities are reduced tho 10/10; managers financially cheating, etc etc. It's a bit depressing really.

eng Monk
User
Registered2013-09-01
eng Scammonden Daoists
eng Dragontao >> monday january 8 - 08:53

Yep.

Also depressing is yet another, inevitable, semi-final defeat to Seaburn. My poor scout needs a 3 month break after working himself into the ground trying to come up with a winning formation. Also costing a fortune in anti-depressants.

eng Dragontao
User
Registered2013-09-07
eng Colchester City #2
il Numpty >> monday january 8 - 11:22, Edited monday january 8 - 15:55

Sorry to say that for me, the old keepers is an important part of my long term strategy and possibly the most fun part of my game. 

I was probably the first to spot this when I started playing a little over 5 years ago and when you start a long way behind everyone else then you need to try and find an edge.  But they have the same issues as every other player, which is that their wages go up massively with their rating, so they won't last forever. Quite a few of them have already been fired and no-one wants to buy the good ones when they see how much they earn. 

I did some rough calculations on the possibility of doing something similar with other positions. But at 10% it would take at least 20 years in real time before they became world class again. And then they wouldn't last very long before their wages would kill you. There's patience and then there's stupidity, lol. 

As far as I know, the oldest active keeper is Taavi's:

https://rockingsoccer.com/en/soccer/info/player-310739

Personally I see 2 major problems with the game.

1. Being able to enter and win the major competitions while running up a massive debt - and ruining the club. There should be a financial fair play policy, where teams are deducted points and banned from continental tournaments. Although seemingly within the rules this could potentially be punished by admin under the club destruction rule. 

2. The "cheat" players, which is managers taking advantage of a bug to give them extra xp. Admin have worked hard to get rid of them but it's still going on.  

Other issues are the 1. silly wages of the top players, which has the knock-on effect of keeping their transfer prices much lower, and 2. the multiple days of price reductions needed to sell most of the players. 3. Bots gifting hundreds of millions when buying rubbish players. Although these issues are mostly the same for everyone. 

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
ca Alex Seymour >> monday january 8 - 18:58

I had a lot of guilt over this as I do use my aging Nicaraguan midget in goal. I wish there was a forced retirement of 45 years for Goal Keepers coded in the game. It really is an oversight of the developers and would be dead easy to implement.

I didn't use him at first but as other managers were exploiting this flaw I just went with the lazy 'if other people are doing it then why don't we' approach.

I'm happy to not play him if managers agree not to in the English League. The European teams all do tho. In the UEFA Cup I'm in, every team has a 50+ keeper playing.

ca Alex Seymour
User
Registered2013-12-02
ca Hamilton FC
eng Lee >> monday january 8 - 22:34

Alex - I've already written to the FA requesting our upcoming derby be moved to an evening kick-off. Initially it was to earn more TV money but it might also result in you having to rest your OAP keeper, as he will be getting ready for bed.

eng Lee
User
Registered2014-10-14
eng Canvey Pixels
eng Stephen >> sunday january 14 - 19:51

Three games left with the Youth Cup and Cup somehow already in the trophy cabinet.

A three point gap in the league but it looks like Newcastle will just not stop winning. I make it I can afford one half slip-up and get a draw. A defeat and it's probably over on goal difference.

Unlike in the good ol' days when I had a squad full of 25+ star players, there's a real element of jeopardy. And after last season's 101 points second place, it'd be nice to get this one over the line!

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach