Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> Questions

Club World Cup (12)

eng Stephen >> saturday october 10 - 18:33

My team is in the Club World Cup this season. My question is why? I thought you had to win continental trophies to get into this competition. I finished nowhere last season. I’m not at the top of any rankings either.

The only thing I can think of is that the competition is in England this season and I won the league there. Is that why I’m in? Feels a bit of a bizarre reason to me...

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
il Numpty >> saturday october 10 - 20:30, Edited saturday october 10 - 20:50

Yes, truly bizarre ;)

From the Help

It is a single elimination tournament like the national cup. Not every team starts in the same round. The champions of Europa and Asia (the most active continents in Rocking Soccer) will enter in the semi-finals, the champions of North America, South America and Africa will enter in the quarter finals and the champion of Oceania and the league champion of the host country will kick off the tournament with a playoff round.

https://rockingsoccer.com/en/soccer/help/home/category-7/article-58

Incidentally, this more or less mirrors how the Club World Cup works in real life. The only difference being that the real life tournament has the European and South American Champions (Copa Libertadores) starting in the semi-finals.

So for RS, Vincent has replaced the Copa Libertadores winners with the Asian champions. 

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng Stephen >> saturday october 10 - 21:06

Hurray! A pity ticket. Probably the only way I was ever going to get in.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
il Numpty >> saturday october 10 - 21:19

Well if you don't want it we'll happily step up from the Tier 5 promotion playoffs.

Not won anything, of course, but we're game for a laugh. :)

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng Stephen >> saturday october 10 - 21:52

Thanks for the offer, but I think I’m the right man for the job. I’ve been humiliating the English game on an international stage for long enough to know how to do it right ;)

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
nl Aad Mansveld >> sunday october 11 - 10:12

lol

nl Aad Mansveld
User
Registered2013-06-09
nl **** The Hague FC ****
ee Balthazor >> sunday october 11 - 18:06

Most of host teams fall in first round, but last season host reached to semifinals winning 2 matches.

ee Balthazor
User
Registered2013-12-01
ee Dünamo Tallinn
au davo >> wednesday october 14 - 02:27

What I don't get is why England and several other countries have hosted it more than once, when some of us have never hosted it.

au davo
User
Registered2013-08-27
eng Stephen >> wednesday october 14 - 08:24

I assume this is just a random draw, but there could I suppose be more to it than that.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
au davo >> wednesday october 14 - 09:27

Hosting it is pretty much my only way of ever standing a chance to compete in it - although I think my recent league domination will come to the end in a season or two so it probably wont make a difference to me.

au davo
User
Registered2013-08-27
eng Stephen >> wednesday october 14 - 13:28

I’m not kidding myself that I’ll be here on merit anytime soon. I’ll just gleefully accept my pity ticket with both hands!

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
il Numpty >> wednesday october 14 - 13:36, Edited wednesday october 14 - 13:43

Apparently it's not entirely random.

"The host is selected by taking a random stadium of level 4 or higher. This means that any country with at least one level 4 stadium has a chance to be the host but bigger countries have a bigger chance.

A country that was already selected as host in the past 20 seasons cannot be selected again."

If I understand this correctly then what matters is how many level 4+ stadiums each country has.

First exclude all host countries for the previous 20 seasons. Then it's a case of simple probability. 

For each country the chance of hosting is

• number of qualifying stadiums/worldwide qualifying stadiums  
il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets