Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> General discussion

Daylight Savings Time (9)

ph Cresencio Fernando >> thursday march 28 - 02:39

Annoying , twice a year we flip the clocks back and forth. And for a few weeks USA is on DST and Europe yet to change. Again I say, annoying.

Let us just pick a time and keep it there, yeah ?

ph Cresencio Fernando
User
Registered2014-03-16
ph Davao Griffins
il Numpty >> sunday march 31 - 08:56, Edited sunday march 31 - 09:49

In fact that's exactly what the game does. 

Most European countries changed to summer time today, 31 March.

When the clocks change around the world the game doesn't change, so the time that you see always changes by an hour.

For example, if your match starts at 09:00 GMT then that stays at 09:00 GMT. But when the clocks go forward by 1 hour in the spring/summer then the time that you see is 10:00. This happens to everyone who lives in a country that changes their clocks. The game doesn't change only your clock does.

A growing number of countries around the world don't use daylight saving so they always keep the same game time.  

Most likely what you want is for the game clock to honour the clock change in the Netherlands/Europe. In which case only those countries changing clocks at the same time would see no apparent change, But those countries on a different daylight saving schedule would have a few weeks being out of step and those countries that never change their clocks would see a new game time with every clock change. Messy.

Clearly there's not a solution that would suit everyone so it's best to keep things as they are. 

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
ph Cresencio Fernando >> monday april 1 - 01:50, Edited monday april 1 - 01:50

You misunderstand. Or I have not well stated.The way the game keeps time is how it should be.

It is the DST nonsense our governments put us through that is silly, and willy-nilly.

ph Cresencio Fernando
User
Registered2014-03-16
ph Davao Griffins
il Numpty >> monday april 1 - 09:15, Edited monday april 1 - 09:22

Yes, I misunderstood. Sorry :/

Years ago in the UK there was an experiment where we stayed on summer time all year round. Darker mornings and longer evenings during the winter. That would get my vote.  

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng Monk >> monday april 1 - 09:42

When was that experiment Numpty?

eng Monk
User
Registered2013-09-01
eng Scammonden Daoists
il Numpty >> monday april 1 - 09:54, Edited monday april 1 - 09:56

Roughly around 1970 ish. We also went decimal around the same time.

I understand they did something similar during the war too.  Double summer time? But I don't remember that ... :D

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
il Numpty >> monday april 1 - 10:15

I remember as a child being fascinated by the coinage. Especially the very old ones. The penny (1d) had remained the same since the time of Queen Victoria so the ones minted during the 1800s were still legal tender. You could find pennies with Victoria, Edward VII, George V, George VI and a very young looking Queen Elizabeth on them. The Victorian ones were usually black presumably due to their age. 

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
eng Monk >> monday april 1 - 11:27

Fascinating. Thanks Numpty.

eng Monk
User
Registered2013-09-01
eng Scammonden Daoists
eng Stephen >> saturday april 6 - 17:16

Got the Last of the Summer Wine theme music in my head now