Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> Real life soccer

Locked World Cup (508)

fr Elric Antona >> thursday july 26 - 10:05

"Russia was one of the greatest world cups to date."

I don't agree. This was the absolute worst WC since the 1978 WC in Argentina.

fr Elric Antona
Registered2013-09-11
lv Ar4ers >> thursday july 26 - 10:18

best world cup was in 2006

lv Ar4ers
User
Registered2014-12-30
lv Rīgas Dinamo
nl Vince Dean >> thursday july 26 - 10:36

1998 was the best one in my oppinion.

nl Vince Dean
Registered2013-10-11
eng holt >> thursday july 26 - 11:01

Worst was 2002.Best was the World Cup.

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
ee Taavi >> thursday july 26 - 12:37

This world cup was great , lots of goals and surprises

ee Taavi
Community admin
Registered2014-01-17
ee FC Pusa
nz Starris1 >> friday july 27 - 02:54

Guess the cup is different things to different people.

If you were Germany or Argentina it couldn't get much worse but for an impartial bystander... enjoying Belgium and Croatia going deep was fantastic!

nz Starris1
User
Registered2018-06-22
nl Vince Dean >> friday july 27 - 05:11

The fact England reached the semi final was much more a surprise to me then Belgium reaching it... 

nl Vince Dean
Registered2013-10-11
fr Elric Antona >> friday july 27 - 10:11, Edited friday july 27 - 10:24

I totally understand why somebody could have enjoyed the last WC.

I did watch the 78 WC in Argentina (and enjoyed it) because I was a child at that time and did not understand all the things at stake.

Now that I am a grown-up reading more than just the sports page in the newspapers I felt so uneasy with the whole thing that I ended up not watching at all.

So that's why it was the worst WC to me : was not able to watch it. To each his own !

fr Elric Antona
Registered2013-09-11
lv Namejs >> friday july 27 - 22:28

You can't claim that something is bad if You hadn't try it or watched it in this case. It is Your decision not to watch WC whatever the reasons are so You can't claim that it was bad as You didn't know how it panned out.

lv Namejs
Community admin
Registered2014-07-06
lv Taurupes Dusmīgie Bebri
nz Starris1 >> saturday july 28 - 07:03

Completely agree you cannot rubbish a sports event you didn't even watch.

And yes England expelling some of the demons of the past was an added bonus.

nz Starris1
User
Registered2018-06-22
eng Stephen >> saturday july 28 - 07:27

@Elric - You have moral/political/philosophical problems with certain governments, which you have made abundantly clear in various posts. I have to ask you to stop bringing this up now though. Vincent was very clear that he does not want politics to be discussed in the game, so we all need to respect this.

Thanks.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
au davo >> saturday july 28 - 13:12

Whilst @Elric's comments were not in line with the forum's views on politics, @Namejs and @Starris1 are incorrect to say that he was claiming that the World Cup was a bad tournament. He is only saying that from his point of view it was bad because his political beliefs prevented him from watching it.

I personally feel that the worst world cup was 2010, purely because the cacophony of vuvuzelas in every game resulted in me watching it with the sound down which was really boring. It could have been the most glorious spectacle of football ever, but I hated every minute of it - so it's not always about the football.

au davo
User
Registered2013-08-27
lv Namejs >> saturday july 28 - 16:40, Edited saturday july 28 - 16:52

One can't claim something good or bad if he hasn't seen or used it. That has nothing to do with political or any other points of view, it is clear logical error to claim that something You don't know anything about is good or bad.

lv Namejs
Community admin
Registered2014-07-06
lv Taurupes Dusmīgie Bebri
eng holt >> sunday july 29 - 17:01

@Stephen What is sports without politics....

eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
ro Andrei >> sunday july 29 - 20:26, Edited sunday july 29 - 20:34
It's ... sports.

Because politics is garbage.

So let's leave it in the trash can.
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30