Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> Real life soccer

European Championship (165)

eng Stephen >> monday june 21 - 17:55

Dominic Calvert-Lewin, the Everton striker.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
eng Dragontao >> monday june 21 - 19:14, Edited monday june 21 - 19:15

@Aad Mansveld 

I've heard this argument about the foreign players in the Premier League hampering England's chances so often. It falls down when you look at England's performances between 1966 and the current day. Quality of player over quantity is important. So is quality of manager.

Even when they had majority of Failed to qualify for any major tournament after 1970 World Cup/72 Euros until the 1980 European Championships and 1982 World cup, then failed to qualify for the 1984 Euros.

Although they they failed to qualify for the 94 World cup near the start of the Premier League, their tournament finishing positions have been better since the start of the Premier League overall.

They've had managers who who insist on picking the best players, based on how and where they play for their club, then playing them out of position. Picking the best players, rather than the best team. They have wasted some superb talent like Hoddle and Barnes over the years.

Rather than a league full of mediocre players to choose from, if a player is now getting in a Premier League side, especially the top sides, they should be good enough for England. They have some superb talent right now, just need the right manager to make the most of it. That's not Southgate. Once he leaves the England job, he will fail miserably as a club manager.

The English F.A likes to pick safe managers, who are good for PR and don't court controversy. Brian Clough when asked if England never appointed him as manager said "I’m sure the England selectors thought if they took me on and gave me the job, I’d want to run the show. They were shrewd, because that’s exactly what I would have done.”

eng Dragontao
User
Registered2013-09-07
eng Colchester City #2
eng Yid >> wednesday june 23 - 08:53

Well, England safely through to the last 16, finishing in top spot.

Not the best over the three games, but job done.

Tougher tests to come, we will have to wait and see now just who that will be.

Unlucky Scotland, something to build on though.

eng Yid
User
Registered2014-06-23
eng Tottenham Hotspur FC
ca Alex Seymour >> wednesday june 23 - 15:32

Ah Brian Clough. The greatest England manager we never had. Would've loved to have seen him have a crack at that job.

ca Alex Seymour
User
Registered2013-12-02
ca Hamilton FC
nl Aad Mansveld >> wednesday june 23 - 18:36

Well England will probably meet Germany in 2nd round. Or Portugal or France. But i hope for a clasdic match with Germany and then on to meet Netherlands in the semi final. 

nl Aad Mansveld
User
Registered2013-06-09
nl **** The Hague FC ****
eng ipfreely >> thursday june 24 - 07:40

Will indeed be Germany. I just hope it won't be 1-4!

eng ipfreely
User
Registered2013-12-08
vi Lollapa Losers
il Numpty >> thursday june 24 - 09:17, Edited thursday june 24 - 09:18

The issue with selecting the England manager is its not's only about football.

There's effectively a political element to it and they choose 'safe' because they want to avoid controversy. An outspoken manager such as Clough risked making too many waves. Both within the country itself and also could potentially have a major impact on foreign relations.

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
ee Taavi >> thursday june 24 - 10:27

Literally no one outside of UK cares about ur manager or how you do in the tournament 

ee Taavi
Community admin
Registered2014-01-17
ee FC Pusa
il Numpty >> thursday june 24 - 10:40

And who is the Ur manager? Isn't that in Iraq somewhere.

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
ee Taavi >> thursday june 24 - 10:59

He would do better then your manager 

ee Taavi
Community admin
Registered2014-01-17
ee FC Pusa
il Numpty >> thursday june 24 - 11:30

Ha! you haven't met my wife. I would agree with you but I'm not allowed to. 

il Numpty
User
Registered2018-10-19
eng Heath Hornets
ro Andrei >> thursday june 24 - 13:34
My respects to Hungary. They've played really well yesterday and deserved to win in Munich.
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
eng Stephen >> thursday june 24 - 17:58

That was the most exciting match of the tournament so far in my opinion. You've got to feel for Hungary, but it goes to show Gary Lineker's still hold true:

Football is a simple game22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.

eng Stephen
Head Admin
Registered2013-08-28
eng Seaburn Beach
lv Ar4ers >> thursday june 24 - 18:14

France vs Germany final  will be like in 2012 Spain vs Italy (played in same group, Spain world champion, Italy previous champion and didnt reach 1/8 final as world cup holder in 2010 w.cup and of course City EPL champion and Chelsea CL champion in 2012 )

lv Ar4ers
User
Registered2014-12-30
lv Rīgas Dinamo
ro Andrei >> thursday june 24 - 19:20
The fact that the Germans were timewasting in the 94th minute against Hungary ... that says plenty.
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30