Forum: English rss-feed

This is the general discussion forum for English. When you post in this forum you have to use this language. Posts in other languages may be removed without notice. This forum uses subsections for posts with different topics or purposes. Please posts bugs in the bugs section and take some time to figure out where other posts should go.

English >> Real life soccer

Arsenal (1036)

eng Dragontao >> tuesday february 28 - 21:29
I'm not an advocate of sacking Wenger like quite a few are, but to say he gets a trophy on a regular basis isn't really true anymore. Far from it.

Arsene won 7 major trophies between 1997 and 2005 (premier league x 3 and cup x 4. He only really had one real rival for most of that period. The last being the F.A Cup in 2004/05.

They may have won the F.A Cup a couple of years running recently, 2013/14 and 2014/15, but unless you count the Community Shield as a major trophy, which most don't (it's a glorified pre-season friendly), that's two major trophies in the best part of 12 years.

During that intervening period, the likes of Birmingham, Portsmouth, Wigan Athletic, Swansea City and big rivals Tottenham won major trophies (I've excluded the expected ones like Chelsea, Utd, Liverpool and Man City).

That's hardly a regular record of trophies in recent years Arsene has and most top clubs, Utd included, wouldn't have accepted that drought, even from Alex Ferguson. Doesn't mean I agree with the continual sacking of managers though.

It's a lot more difficult for him (and Arsenal) now. I've said it before, sacking him won't guarantee more success for Arsenal and may even lead to further decline unless they spend a truckload of cash.
eng Dragontao
User
Registered2013-09-07
eng Colchester City #2
ee Taavi >> wednesday march 1 - 05:32
I would love to see Wenger manage Arsenal until he himself decides to retire , been an Arsenal fan for most my life but without Wenger it would never be the same

Like Man United lost alot of its essence after Ferguson retired
ee Taavi
Community admin
Registered2014-01-17
ee FC Pusa
ro Andrei >> wednesday march 8 - 03:51
That must've hurt big time.

Double 1-5 defeat ... Damn.
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
ee Kaarel >> wednesday march 8 - 06:10
Actually they played pretty well until referee gave amazingly harsh red card.
There probably was no way back for arsenal, but referee killed that game for good. imo.
ee Kaarel
User
Registered2013-12-25
ee Anonüümsed Alkohoolikud
ca Jax >> wednesday march 8 - 19:24
I don't see how keeping Wenger can be justified anymore. Forget the embarrassing loss to Bayern and just look at Arsenal's CL results back to 2010. Out in the R16 every time. They played Barca and Bayern in many of those legs but you'd think they could've at least advanced once. Many of those matchups came to fruition because Arsenal couldn't win their group.

I feel like Stan Croenke is content with what Arsenal is doing and that's got to upsetting to the fans of this team.
ca Jax
User
Registered2014-05-30
lv Namejs >> wednesday march 8 - 19:34
Ironically, when Arsenal won their group they lost to 2. placed team with 2:10 aggregate.
lv Namejs
Community admin
Registered2014-07-06
lv Taurupes Dusmīgie Bebri
nl Sazz >> wednesday march 8 - 20:48
Koscielny.
nl Sazz
Registered2016-03-25
eng Dragontao >> wednesday march 8 - 21:50
People seem to forget Arsenal had declined quite badly prior to Wenger taking over and the difference he made to Arsenal, making them a perennial top 4 team.

I don't think any other manager/team can claim to have had such a sustained period in the top 4 during the Premier League years. Chelsea, Utd, Liverpool have all dropped out at times.

The League used to be very changeable and Arsenal were not guaranteed a spot near the top, far from it. Apart from that period in the late 80's, they were very inconsistent in their league placing. Wenger came along at the right moment and they were a rich club and able to capitalise on it.

The league has become vastly different in recent seasons, where there was first 1 or two teams looking to win it every season, and only 3 or 4 challenging for the top 4 places, now there are 6.

Replacing Wenger is not going to guarantee they retain a top 4 place, or even regain it should they lose it. They will have to spend a fortune and without any guarantees. A lot will change at the club.

A little history lesson for those who think Arsenal have been a dominant force prior to Wenger. I think Wenger did pretty well really. They appeared to be in a bit of a decline after that success of the late 80's and Wenger arrested that decline.

In the 25 years to 1994/95 Arsenal had 9 top 4 finishes and won the league 3 times. Under Wenger in 20 seasons they won the league 3 times and had 14 top 3 finishes, 9 top two finishes (including last season) and NEVER finished lower than 4th.

70/71 Champions
71/72 5th
72/73 2nd
73/74 10th
74/75 16th
75/76 17th
76/77 8th
77/78 5th
78/79 7th
79/80 4th
80/81 3rd
81/82 5th
82/83 10th
83/84 6th
84/85 7th
85/86 7th
86/87 4th
87/88 6th
88/89 Champions
89/90 4th
90/91 Champions
91/2 4th (no European qualification)
92/3 10th
93/4 4th (21 points behind 1st, no CL qualification)
94/5 12th
95/6 5th
96/7 3rd (Wenger's 1st season)
97/8 Champions
98/9 2nd
99/00 2nd
00/01 2nd
01/02 Champions
02/03 2nd
03/04 Champions
04/05 2nd
05/06 4th
06/07 4th
07/08 3rd
08/09 4th
09/10 3rd
10/11 4th
11/12 3rd
12/13 4th
13/14 4th
14/15 3rd
15/16 2nd

Be careful what you wish for Arsenal fans. Change may not be as good as you think. There's no entitlement to the title in the Premier League any more. Not even to a top 4 finish.
eng Dragontao
User
Registered2013-09-07
eng Colchester City #2
ee Kaarel >> thursday march 9 - 12:48
I'm a Arsenal fan and I'm still behind Wenger.

He is consistent and reliable manager. He had periods when he had to play Frimpong-like players and basically without goalkeepers. But he has done it well.

What is tearing him down at the moment is media and social media. Premier league is like some sh*tty ass reality show. Media always builds up some drama and makes "heroes".
Someone performs well he is hailed and said to be next Messy, Henry, Zidane or whatever. Few bad games and there is doubt over player abilities.

Two good examples from this season are Zlatan and Aguero. Both are world class players. When Zlatan had few games without goals or assist there was talk that he was bad signing. Also with Aguero with his current form there was already some stories produced that City will offload him.

Reallly. What the fluck.

With Arsenal, they are on the spotlight somewhy. They are getting too much attention all the time and every loss is taken too harshly.
I remember when they were on the 2nd place this season and they lost a game. Fans were already moaning that Wenger out and sh*t.

I think most of you have heard about Arsenalfantv. Really, what is with these guys? They quite often doesn't seem to see the game at all. Have no understanding why things happen. Only see statistics and results. No wonder that players don't appreciate them or thank after the game.
I wouldn't.

What I would change about Arsenal team today:

1) I would most definetly sell Alexis Sanchez asap. For me it seems that he is the bad apple in team chemistry. Yes, surely he is world class player and a beast but Arsenal isn't the same anymore. Team effort has changed into Alexis-effort. His selfish style is somewhat weakening the team. Everyone who has played with overly selfish player knows what I'm talking about.

2) World class midfielder who has ability to lift the team is needed.
At the moment there isn't a player who could be the player who makes them tick. Wilshere and Ramsey would be good candidates, but they are made of class and are not reliable. Cazorla is injured forever and that's it. Özil is maestro, but not the one who makes them tick.

*Actually Ox has been really good in CM.

3) Left-back position needs some fixing

4) Coquelin on the sub bench. All the games that we've got a bad beat there was one player who got involved on opponent goals, it is Coquelin. Just watch last games highlights and you know what I mean.

This is my opinion.
ee Kaarel
User
Registered2013-12-25
ro Andrei >> saturday march 18 - 14:28
Any more excuses, Mr. Wenger? Come on, beaten 3-1 by West Brom?

No offense to any Baggies fans. :)
ro Andrei
Registered2014-08-30
wal Hudson >> saturday march 18 - 17:49
West Brom is actually overperforming this season, and given all the goings-on and tension at Arsenal, I am not surprised by this result.
wal Hudson
Registered2016-05-08
eng holt >> sunday march 19 - 08:32
The problem is not with Wenger,it is with the f**king players.They are playing worse than what Leicester was in the last of the games,Raneri was managing. Sell Sanchez,Wenger gets sacked(fans will revolt)Keep Sanchez,and Arsenal lose.
eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
ee Kaarel >> sunday march 19 - 10:13, Edited sunday march 19 - 10:13
As a Arsenal supporter I also think that Sanchez is a problematic link. He surely plays good, when game goes like that. He shines, but this is not the way to go. Arsenal have lost this beatiful passing game and it has transmuted into somewhat solo play. There is a reason why Barcelona got rid of Sanchez, but the problem is that he went to the club with same gameplan as Barcelona, but there the gameplan was wrapped around him not the other way around.

Also the pressure on Arsenal is terrible. The same that always goes on England national team and goalkeepers. It is really hard to perform when you get so much mental pressure all the time.

About Wenger. He needs to man up. He has to do some decisions and need to be strict. You can't always protect the players or they will start to use that in bad way.

You can call me crazy and don't need to agree with me, but I think Wenger is actually good manager and I hope he continues, but he surely must do some changes within the team. Team spirit must return into the team.

I hope that Arsenal will get out of this bad momentum and start to play good again.

Cheers.
ee Kaarel
User
Registered2013-12-25
eng holt >> sunday march 19 - 10:19
I agree with Kaarel. There is no problem with Wenger. It is just that the players are playing shit.
eng holt
Registered2013-05-18
wal Hudson >> wednesday march 22 - 20:46
Didn't we have a Malaysian Arsenal fan here?
wal Hudson
Registered2016-05-08